Would you believe it - I topped up the food and water when I took the photo and removed the "new" bird (for use elsewhere). At about 15:00 I went back to find that some trespassing interfering @@@@@@@@@ had released the call bird and set off the two spring doors . I could even see a set of boot tracks across some mud where the @@@had come in from the left over a fence and across the farm track.

I have now removed this trap and will be investing in a couple small padlocks and some of those signs from the NGO (that tell folk that it is an offence to interfere).

A least the trap wasn't damaged.

OXF

To be honest, when I saw the pic at the top of the page I thought "Hope that's well out of sight of joe public".

Unfortunately, some people are like that. I make sure that my larsens are well out of the way, and pretty well concealed.

Learnt that the hard way myself, when some ******* stole a fox trap from one of my fields once !

I would suggest padlocks and the sign you suggest, also include a sign saying area being covered by cctv, as a last resort chain the trap to a sturdy fence post. Oh then bang a trail cam up to cover the trap just to catch the clown on film :-)

Is there someway that you could place a shotgun alarm/mine to the trap that at least would scare the **** out of the interfering **** if they did mess with it again ???

We used to shield our larsens from prying eyes with a couple of bales or even a couple of pieces of ply board on two sides in an 'L' shape. The magpies can still see the trap and call birds easily enough.

If the public can't see it from the highway, byway or footpath they won't go searching for them.

How you don't put a caught bird in with your call bird, put it in another trap or dispatch it.

The caught bird wasn't 'put' in with the call bird; the trap is sectioned off, separated by a sturdy mesh partition. They have obviously been going hammer and tong at each other through the mesh and the caught bird has killed the call bird, thus:

IMG_0374_zps3jpjhzjd.jpg

Edited by Scully

So far so good since I moved the trap about 2oo yards behind a hedge on the far side of the field.

The field has been planted with maize this week.

Total this last week. 3 Wednesday, 2 Thursday, 6 Friday and another 2 Saturday from the one trap and there are still 5 or 6 flying around that immediate area.

So far so good since I moved the trap about 2oo yards behind a hedge on the far side of the field.

The field has been planted with maize this week.

Total this last week. 3 Wednesday, 2 Thursday, 6 Friday and another 2 Saturday from the one trap and there are still 5 or 6 flying around that immediate area.

Great result. It's amazing what difference changing location by just 200yds makes.

Great result. It's amazing what difference changing location by just 200yds makes.

Yes it is. We caught another two while I was away this weekend. We had a wander around our rough shoot this morning and blasted two known Magpie nests and while checking trail cams which were blank, spotted a very young fox cub disappearing behind gorse, so looks like we're out tonight if possible.

• 5 weeks later...

We have so far accounted for 11 Magpies and 3 Carrion crows. A shoot a few miles away has so far caught over 50 Carrion crows and almost 30 Magpies and are now calling it a day. We're going to pick up our ex-layers on the 13th and they always lay countless eggs. At what point do most people stop using Larsens?