How long did you practice shoot before shooting competitively?

PeaceFrog

Hi shooters,

just curious how long you waited before shooting competitively, I've been shooting since November-ish about once a week and I've had 3 lessons. I only really messed around with sporting clays at the beginning (I still don't even know the scoring system) but more recently I've really gotten into skeet and my latest best scores have been in the 20s. Just wondering when I should be thinking about competitive shooting.

Thanks, PeaceFrog.

Have a go and see if you like it. No hard and fast rule as to when to start.

I started shooting local league comps my first year three four months after starting.

Traveling to comps more this year due to having a bit more time.

As said, give it a go. Not everyone can win and most people never get to a top standard anyway!

Competition sporting clays will generally be much more challenging than your average club layout so be prepared to put in some lower scores than you may be used to....great way to improve though!!

30 years and counting

Any reason for that? I used to do small bore target shooting and I think one of the reasons I stopped was that the competition cards were becoming a chore more than leisure time.

And OK then I guess it is just listed as 'skeet', I guess it isn't done competitively where I go. Obviously I did look for 'skeet' but there are a lot of abbreviations that I don't understand yet ha.

PeaceFrog

If you don't feel up to a competition just yet, just go and watch ,it will cost you nothing and you could learn an awful lot. Sporting is easier to watch as you can wander around the stands,but don't get too close to the shooter.I don't know which area you are in but if you go onto the CPSA website all the big comps are listed just pick one near you.There are not many things that are free today but spectating at a shoot is one of them. Go ,watch and learn. from Auntie.

Any reason for that? I used to do small bore target shooting and I think one of the reasons I stopped was that the competition cards were becoming a chore more than leisure time.

I shoot clays intermittently, at some time I have shot every weekend at others (like now) I probably shoot them 3 or 4 times a year.

When I shot more regularly the competition element was between the people I shot with, sure we were entering a 'competition' as in there were money and prizes but none of us are ever in the running for that.

It isn't that I am waiting for my moment to do it, it is more I have no interest in it and in all honesty I am not good enough to even consider it.

The only 'competition' I have shot with the rifle is the static deer test @ Bisley, and then that was just for fun and to practice real life shooting at a range.

Find a localish club and go and enter a competition. You will enjoy it. If you are shooting skeet just learn the rules as much as you can before you go. But once there just explain it's your first time and 95%of people may help you out At local events.

As they say you've got to be in it to win it.

Find a localish club and go and enter a competition. You will enjoy it. If you are shooting skeet just learn the rules as much as you can before you go. But once there just explain it's your first time and 95%of people may help you out At local events.

As they say you've got to be in it to win it.

:good:

:shaun:

• 1 month later...
Guest cookoff013

Competition focus is quite a task.

A few times I shot well above my average, when I went with the guys for a practice it is way more informal,often scores dip just because I enjoy more of a social shooter.

So how do you go about finding out where all the Competitions are ? Also do they do novice comps for the normal sunday ground shooter?

As said the cpsa website will tell you were they are.

There are classes for type of shooting. Skeet shooting from what I've seen is very close so in a c class say you would probably stand a good chance hitting low 20's every round.