Meteor mk5

gemini52

I picked up a 22 meteor off a guy the other day he had about six air rifles ha wanted to get shut of,and to be fair most of them were junk,its a mk five going by the serial no,the wood works in good condition and overall not to bad,my mate Len put it through his crono and its only putting out around three foot pounds,he is going to strip it down,clean the internals new barrel and breech seals,hopefully boost the power up,i had a meteor in the seventys,not to sure which mk it was,going to keep this one tho,its a piece of history.Maybe in twenty years time i can pass it on to my grandkids :good:

Nice, they are great little rifles.

One word of advice though when he "boosts the power up" I'm guessing he'll fit an overrated spring, just be careful he doesn't fit a spring that's way too powerful for the rifle otherwise it'll get too twangy and it'll shoot like a bag of ****.

The Mk2 I'm doing up is going to get a like for like replacement to bring it as near as i can get to its original power.

Nice, they are great little rifles.

One word of advice though when he "boosts the power up" I'm guessing he'll fit an overrated spring, just be careful he doesn't fit a spring that's way too powerful for the rifle otherwise it'll get too twangy and it'll shoot like a bag of ****.

The Mk2 I'm doing up is going to get a like for like replacement to bring it as near as i can get to its original power.

Yes i agree i want it to be as close to original as possible,by the way what was the foot pounds these rifles produced when new?

Yes i agree i want it to be as close to original as possible,by the way what was the foot pounds these rifles produced when new?

Depending who you speak to you get different answers. Generally 7.5-8.5ft lbs depending on the condition. You can get more if you put in an ox Spring to push it to 10ft lbs but it might get a bit twangy and lose accuracy.

Depending who you speak to you get different answers. Generally 7.5-8.5ft lbs depending on the condition. You can get more if you put in an ox Spring to push it to 10ft lbs but it might get a bit twangy and lose accuracy.

Thanks for the info,it will be used in the garden,so it only needs to be around 7.5.

I had a new spring fitted in my Meteor (c.1985 model) and it worked well for me.

I did have an Ox spring fitted years ago and it worked very well. The new spring fitted last year was a Titan spring as the GS said he felt it was better. He reckoned it got it closer to 12 ft/lbs.

I have found it to be a bit `twangy` as a result and the trigger can be a bit lighter.

If you want it for general garden use then an original spring should work fine.

Good luck with it.

I had a new spring fitted in my Meteor (c.1985 model) and it worked well for me.

I did have an Ox spring fitted years ago and it worked very well. The new spring fitted last year was a Titan spring as the GS said he felt it was better. He reckoned it got it closer to 12 ft/lbs.

I have found it to be a bit `twangy` as a result and the trigger can be a bit lighter.

If you want it for general garden use then an original spring should work fine.

Good luck with it.

Spoke to my mate today,he has it stripped down replaced the breech seal,polished the piston,replaced the buffer washer,and just waiting for a new o ring to arrive,and then see how it performs.

Picked it up today,its putting out 9.2 foot pounds after a new breech seal,buffer washer,and piston seal,tried it out in the garden,at twenty five yards i was knocking empty 20 bore cartriges cases about with no problems,the only down side is the triggers really heavy,apart from that its great fun,came back to 15 yards and i could group with in a five pence,all in all a great little gun for garden plinking :good:

There should be a hole in the trigger guard where you can access a screw which is think is just behind where the trigger hinges? No need to remove from woodwork.

Not used mine in ages but I'm sure its somewhere - should be adjustable. Not sure what models had it on them?

I took the stock off today and found it in front off the trigger,gave it a couple of turns clockwise and its a lot lighter now,what i did find was i had to rezero my scope,the shots were grouping to the left,i was knocking off cartridge cases at twenty five yards,so as a back garden plinker its happy days :good: