Springer Alternative?

ben0850

Right PW faithful..

I appear to be posting and in need of some advice from the more educated airgunners...

I currently have a Stoeger x20 in .22 flavour, bought as a simple tool for ferals in the barns and rabbits around the garden / paddocks.

The problem is that I have an increasing rabbit population creeping out of the beech wood adjacent to the farmhouse and getting ever bolder in search of my veg patch, I can happily knock them off from an upstairs window but the springer is bloody awful to shoot with a terrible trigger and a noise like a gong being hit!!

I could do with some advice as to an alternative air rifle? Not sure I could justify big bucks for a pcp as it simply won't get the work?!?

Mainly I use rimfires for rabbit control but with the rabbits adjacent to the house these aren't really an option.

Would a better quality springer be an idea? Answers on a postcard please?

Ps: Apologies for the grammar but typing on my phone whilst slurping a brew in the lambing shed.

Right PW faithful..

I appear to be posting and in need of some advice from the more educated airgunners...

I currently have a Stoeger x20 in .22 flavour, bought as a simple tool for ferals in the barns and rabbits around the garden / paddocks.

The problem is that I have an increasing rabbit population creeping out of the beech wood adjacent to the farmhouse and getting ever bolder in search of my veg patch, I can happily knock them off from an upstairs window but the springer is bloody awful to shoot with a terrible trigger and a noise like a gong being hit!!

I could do with some advice as to an alternative air rifle? Not sure I could justify big bucks for a pcp as it simply won't get the work?!?

Mainly I use rimfires for rabbit control but with the rabbits adjacent to the house these aren't really an option.

Would a better quality springer be an idea? Answers on a postcard please?

Ps: Apologies for the grammar but typing on my phone whilst slurping a brew in the lambing shed.

With a spring gun you usually get what you pay for , for me there are only two makes that are worth considering for anything other than budget restrictions

That is Weihrauch ( HW ) and Air Arms having had both I prefer the HW but the Air arms is still a quality gun .

A gun from either maker will suit your needs perfectly.

Hello ben0850 do you have a budget im mind ?

pcp need not cost a arm and a leg on the second hand market there aresome great deals or rifles with bottles about if you look hard or the right places.

http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy__sell/leisure__hobbies/hunting__sporting_equipment/air_guns/28588977/bsa-ultra-tactical-with-pump-/view

Edited by norfolkgoose

Hw95k in .22 flavour for rabbit lighter than the hw80 and comes with the best trigger of any on a springer and a very good silencer,hw99 does not have a silencer great gun better than any BSA and Webley springer the air arms are heavier and a lot more expensive and are mostly under levers like the he 97 and 77

Edited by psycho

How about a £240 gun for £120.

Webley Stingray Mk 2 is also known as a Hatsan 60S TG (.22) or Hatsan 55S TG (.177).

Exactly the same mechanism as the Stingray, just a slightly shorter stock! These are a derivation of the Webley Vulcan. Great gun, German barrel, 2 stage trigger, auto safety, anti bear trap and open sights (TG stands for Tru Glo - ie fibre optic, sights), not to mention a Walnut stock.

Great value at anywhere from £100-130 depending where you shop, these guns are great fun and great value (basically being a half price Webley).

Just buy a Welsh Willy (Woodfield Gun Care) trigger £28, and Spring kit for your Stoeger ,(does not need a spring compressor), and you will have an extremely nice rifle..

the difference is really astonishing .

hello, yes as longerbower said a WW kit will turn you springer into a better rifle for not much money, just go for the tune kit first?

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for all the advice chaps, I'm thinking the Welsh willy kit may be a starting point and if I'm still none plussed then splash the cash!?!

Hi , I would definitely agree with all the others, I would go for a TX 200 ( Air Arms ) or a HW95 I personally think the TX has the edge over the HW. good luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the advice chaps, not one to admit defeat i have sent the rifle to Will at Woodfield GCP, he's tweaking it, replacing and tuning the spring and changing the trigger.

He messaged me today to say it's done, much quieter and after testing a number of pellets groups 5p with Remington sniper lights.

I will do a report once I receive it back, any thoughts on who sells Remington pellets in .22 as my usual sources don't?

PCP benefits - multi shot take more out at a time ,very quiet with correct moderator , very accurate if correct choice , no recoil also aid to accuracy .

Thanks for all the advice chaps, not one to admit defeat i have sent the rifle to Will at Woodfield GCP, he's tweaking it, replacing and tuning the spring and changing the trigger.
He messaged me today to say it's done, much quieter and after testing a number of pellets groups 5p with Remington sniper lights.

I will do a report once I receive it back, any thoughts on who sells Remington pellets in .22 as my usual sources don't?

I would say welsh Will ?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have to say that Woodfield (Welsh willy) was first class, the stoeger is a totally different gun, it's quieter, smoother, accurate and consistent. The trigger is top notch and using Remington pellets it's 5p grouping.

Will turned it around in a week, kept me informed every step of the way. Very impressed!

Good isn't he. And I bet the cost was reasonable as well?

I lent my Stoeger X20 WW Special , to my son , and can't get it back off him.!

I have a Vmach'd HW95k , sub 12 , And a HW80, both great guns, but shooting the WW X20,

is something different, as, Its not supposed to shoot as well as it does. :good: