CLOCKWISE OR ANTI-CLOCKWISE ?

Here is another devastatingly intriguing question, which has undoubtedly been asked before.

Is it best for the Rotary Magnet to go clockwise or anti-clockwise, or does it not make one scrap of difference ?

The reason I ask is because yesterday I went out with my new replacement rotary from Oscar at A1 Decoys. Had a quick check with the battery before I put it all together, and confirmed that it rotated in an anti-clockwise rotation. So then I took it to where I wanted it placed and fitted it all together, placed the decoys on it, stood a sensible distance away before attaching the battery to ensure I didn't get speared by the beak of a plastic decoy, and off it went. In fact off it went at such a high speed, even the faces on the plastic decoys looked scared !

Aha, I thought, sure there was some other little plastic gizmo in the box? Yup there was a speed controller with a remote controller. So, got that fitted, ensuring all the + and - were correctly matched up, and off she went again and I was able to sensibly control the speed but . . . . . . . . . . . it was now traveling in a clockwise rotation !!!

Wasn't sure what to do at that point but I tried switching over the polarity at one of the connection points, and that sure enough sent the unit back into an anti-clockwise rotation. Still not sure if that was the right thing to do.

Was it better for the motor to be turning in its natural direction when connected directly to the battery, or does it make no difference to the motor anyway, or was it better to keep + and - correctly aligned ?

Was the original movement of anti-clockwise purposely set that way as it has proved to be more attractive to pigeons - or couldn't they care less ?

Questions, questions, questions !!!

As for the shooting. Well it was a quiet day with not much movement. Ended up with just 2 x woodies and 1 x crow but missed a few good opportunities, with the best one, of course, flying past whilst trigger finger was being deftly and expertly utilised ramming second half of pork pie into gob hole. Generally good signs of flocks splitting up, but there are a number of flight lines on my perm, and despite having watched them on the rape for the previous few days, I obviously picked the wrong one for that day. What with sorting out the new rotary, it being a warm and sunny day and an absolute joy being sat out there, to be honest I couldn't be ar$ed to move :P

Any wise and experienced comments would be appreciated (tin hat is already on)

Edited by Guerini Guy

Best to observe the polarity connects +to+ -to- or you may risk at least a blown fuse in the speed controller, but like has already been said it does not make any difference to what way the rotary goes.

Most of the wiper motor type go anti clockwise to lessen the risk of the shaft becoming lose when cutting the power.

It depends on the polarity of the wood pigeons in your area. Those whose magnetic north pole is in their head and south in their ***** will be attracted to clockwise rotation but repelled by an anti clockwise one. Obviously vice versa for birds with a south pole in their swede. Its all basic physics really.

Here is another devastatingly intriguing question, which has undoubtedly been asked before.

Is it best for the Rotary Magnet to go clockwise or anti-clockwise, or does it not make one scrap of difference ?

The reason I ask is because yesterday I went out with my new replacement rotary from Oscar at A1 Decoys. Had a quick check with the battery before I put it all together, and confirmed that it rotated in an anti-clockwise rotation. So then I took it to where I wanted it placed and fitted it all together, placed the decoys on it, stood a sensible distance away before attaching the battery to ensure I didn't get speared by the beak of a plastic decoy, and off it went. In fact off it went at such a high speed, even the faces on the plastic decoys looked scared !

Aha, I thought, sure there was some other little plastic gizmo in the box? Yup there was a speed controller with a remote controller. So, got that fitted, ensuring all the + and - were correctly matched up, and off she went again and I was able to sensibly control the speed but . . . . . . . . . . . it was now traveling in a clockwise rotation !!!

Wasn't sure what to do at that point but I tried switching over the polarity at one of the connection points, and that sure enough sent the unit back into an anti-clockwise rotation. Still not sure if that was the right thing to do.

Was it better for the motor to be turning in its natural direction when connected directly to the battery, or does it make no difference to the motor anyway, or was it better to keep + and - correctly aligned ?

Was the original movement of anti-clockwise purposely set that way as it has proved to be more attractive to pigeons - or couldn't they care less ?

Questions, questions, questions !!!

As for the shooting. Well it was a quiet day with not much movement. Ended up with just 2 x woodies and 1 x crow but missed a few good opportunities, with the best one, of course, flying past whilst trigger finger was being deftly and expertly utilised ramming second half of pork pie into gob hole. Generally good signs of flocks splitting up, but there are a number of flight lines on my perm, and despite having watched them on the rape for the previous few days, I obviously picked the wrong one for that day. What with sorting out the new rotary, it being a warm and sunny day and an absolute joy being sat out there, to be honest I couldn't be ar$ed to move :P

Any wise and experienced comments would be appreciated (tin hat is already on)

Just checked the date and you're 11 days late!

As long as the dead birds or sillosocks are going forwards it will not make a blind bit of difference!

Good luck.

I am always so amazed at the wealth of information that can be obtained on here :whistling:

Ok, ok, so pigeons don't care - thought as much. . . . . . . . . . but I still wouldn't mind betting that there are those on here who do have a personal preference, but won't say :lol::lol::lol:

But more sensibly, has anybody experienced their speed controller causing their rotary to move in the opposite direction?

And, can anybody definitely confirm that there is no damage caused to the motor by running in different direction?

I am always so amazed at the wealth of information that can be obtained on here :whistling:

Ok, ok, so pigeons don't care - thought as much. . . . . . . . . . but I still wouldn't mind betting that there are those on here who do have a personal preference, but won't say :lol::lol::lol:

But more sensibly, has anybody experienced their speed controller causing their rotary to move in the opposite direction?

And, can anybody definitely confirm that there is no damage caused to the motor by running in different direction?

As far as I am aware, running an electric motor in reverse should have no ill effects. I'm sure a quick search by Mr Google could confirm this.

I correctly connected up mine from SW - direct and via the speed controller and got the same rotation. But. The last portion of the extending arms - the 90 degree bit is angled from the horizontal and when rotating with a plastic decoy mounted they were diving towards the ground. I pulled the arms from the motor, rotated them 180 degrees which corrected the 'droop' but then had to reverse the polarity on the cable from the motor.

• 3 weeks later...

I asked this question some time ago too.... when polarity was aligned (red on red) mine ran clockwise which struck me as being odd as any I had seen prior to that went anti clock wise hence me asking...... I have run it with the polarity in opposites (black on red) so it runs anti and it has worked fine for me.

• 2 weeks later...