Vortek Anybody?

secretagentmole

I have long held the belief that tuning kits are more style than substance. Now my HW77 is 25 years old, looks like it has been through most things hunting can throw at it including a combine harvester, but was still running at 10.5 ft lb. It was noisy, but not so noisy you would put it out of the norm for a 77. My HW77 is also the 25mm piston.

A Titan mainspring is about £19, piston seal, £6, breech seal £4 which makes a total of around £30 plus p+p. For £70 I was able to get a Vortek PGR 2 tuning kit (he gave me a breech seal). The kit comprises of a spring, spring guide, top hat, pre-load washers, lubrication and a set of instructions.

I set about trying to install it and hit a massive problem, I could not get the back block off, so I rebuilt it and took it to my local neighbourhood gun smith, who managed to dismantle the gun without damage (I would not have trusted myself to do that).

He fettled the insides and installed the kit. Now like me he had a health disbelief for the claims made by various manufacturers of tuning kits. That was until he had rebuilt the beauty that is Helga. Now Tony advised me not to put the preload washers in, I advised the gunsmith of this, but he was curious and first rebuilt it with the "naughty washers" (his description) in.

He had test fired the 77 before fitting the kit, out of the stock he cocked it, slipped a pellet in, grasped it firmly and fired the gun. Puzzled he looked at the chrono and saw it was 14ft lb! His words were "It hardly moved at all." He decided to remove the "naughty washers" and the power dropped to 11.5 ft lb. Then he put the stock back on it. The noise level has dropped dramatically, the recoil is all but gone, cocking is really smooth, really really smooth and the accuracy is improved (due to low recoil and power increase). Just a teeny tiny backwards nudge. The gun smith was "You really have to try this." He could not believe it. He also took opportunity whilst it was in to demonstrate it for a few customers (I don't mind, he is a good friend). He now has 3 enquiries about airgun tuning.

Simply put, these kits work, they really work. For twice the cost of a Titan and new seals you too can have a tuned gun. There are other kit suppliers out there, but I will now put myself in the converted camp. Drop in kits work! I recommend Protek having had one installed. They are also just up the road from me so we did not have to wait for Royal Snail delivery either.

http://www.agrtuning.co.uk/services.html

Edited by secretagentmole

It is made from Delrin (or a similar engineering plastic) and it is very strong. The link I put up is the one to his website. I believe Delrin is used over metal as it is quieter and it has been used in tuning kits for a number of years now without problem. Sure as heck makes it quiet!

Edited by secretagentmole

I bought a Welsh Willy tuning kit and trigger for my old SMK XS19 and it completely transformed the gun. Made it much easier to cock, quieter, very little recoil and running at a steady 11.5 ft lb. The trigger unit is also superb. For such a cheap rifle it is now a delight to shoot.