Oil Seed Rape

Joshcup11

hi all.

I have been asked shoot some pigeons over some oil seed rape I'm just wondering what everyone's set ups would be for that situation as the field in question is about two foot high also I was planning on just getting the whirlybird out instead of my traditional decoy pattern,

the birds are feeding very heavily on the field and I will not have a problem with birds flighting about as there is a wood on the corner of the field which receives about 1000 birds to roost every evening.

Cheers

Josh

Your normal decoys will not be seen in the tall crop. Use a rotary and as many floaters as you can get your hands on.

The proximity of the roosting wood is not really an advantage as it is too close. One bang and they will be gone. Much better to look for a flight line coming from a distance.

I sometimes put birds in cradles and then the cradles into bambo canes which will raise them up two foot or more. I tend to use it more for pea crops but I have used it for rape as well. I wil also put a flapper on a two foot cane to try and imitate a bird landing on the tall crop. Having said the above the pigeon magnet is probably the most important but in heavily shot areas it may not work that's why I have tried the other techniques above.

The ''whirlybird'' as i reffered to is a magnet! Just my silly name for it :lol: .

If there are any low patches they are more likely to get the birds attention and you can perhaps get away with some decoys on cradles , also give some thought to how you are going to retrieve the birds you manage to shoot.

My dog will be doing all the retrieving! Wines like ******* when theres nothing for her to pick so hopefully she will be kept quiet! :good:

Ill be putting some cradles out and will hopefully have a good day!

Will let you all know how it goes :good:

Cheers

Josh

Your normal decoys will not be seen in the tall crop. Use a rotary and as many floaters as you can get your hands on.

The proximity of the roosting wood is not really an advantage as it is too close. One bang and they will be gone. Much better to look for a flight line coming from a distance.

The flight line as i can see it is out the far end of the wood and directly over the top,they then come across the corner of the wood which is where i was going to place my hide,they then circle and hopefully decoy in as planned

Josh

I wouldn't totally rule it out. I had several 100+ bags and a 202 on some stunted rape in recent years. The main bulk of the birds shot came straight from a wood at around a 1/4 of a mile away. The shooting was mainly towards the wood also.