Plenty pigeons

Blackpowder

Shooting on spring sowings has been spasmodic in this part of the world. Drillings co-incided with some work and family commitments and I only had two days at them for a very modest 16 and 8. The pigeon just were not there in any numbers, but hope runs high for a late farm on our syndicate shoot where I managed 50 last year on barley drillings. This weekend I am dog sitting for a relative and this evening took a walk around the town which touches the countryside on the outward leg. I was surprised to see pigeon flighting and ,swooping to a set field. The surprise was that the grain was well sprouted and one inch to one and a half through the ground in some places. My previous experience on fields with sprouted grain has been that pigeon are not interested, peas and beans can be different but barley? Anyone else finding sprouted barely and attraction tom pigeons?

Blackpowder

Edited by Blackpowder

Gents

Could this be an evolution in feeding behaviour due to modern drilling machines being so efficient, the pigeon are using crow like methods to get to the grain whilst still edible ? Just a thought as drillings are not the windfall they used to be and hardly a grain to see even after a good downpour

Gents

Could this be an evolution in feeding behaviour due to modern drilling machines being so efficient, the pigeon are using crow like methods to get to the grain whilst still edible ? Just a thought as drillings are not the windfall they used to be and hardly a grain to see even after a good downpour

I agree maxwell. One of my farms used to have an old drill that spilled more grain than went in the ground and it was a guaranteed big-bag farm in the spring. He's since bought a new drill that spills hardly anything and I haven't had a decent bag there since.

What ever it was Nats they were certainly keen on it.

Blackpowder

BP, I have a similar field and on close inspection I reckon it's the weed growth that the pigeons are feeding on.

kippylawkid

I agree maxwell. One of my farms used to have an old drill that spilled more grain than went in the ground and it was a guaranteed big-bag farm in the spring. He's since bought a new drill that spills hardly anything and I haven't had a decent bag there since.

One farm I have had for the past 8 gave us in 2007 three weekends of years good shooting on the same field. I dont know what had went wrong with the drill but there was barley everywhere even after two weeks. Pigeons were a dot in the sky with set wings and coming in, even when we were out setting up dead birds for decoys. Its never happened again , new farm hand and new drill also I suspect.

BP, I have a similar field and on close inspection I reckon it's the weed growth that the pigeons are feeding on.

kippylawkid

Yes come to think of I have seen pigeon on ground set up for potatoes following rape at some time in the past.

Blackpowder

Hi Blackpowder

I shot a good number on a barley field about 2 inches high last year , with chickweed just poking through .

A few years ago I shot a similar field that had been potatoes the previous year , and was surprised how many pigeons were feeding on the old tatties.

Hitman