got permission on a golf course and looking for advise

samcul

i have just got permission on a golf course very near to my house. they don't have any major pest problems but just like to keep on top of the rabbits, crows and pigeons. i have some very basic experience on lamping but would appreciate any other advice on how to get some rabbits. my back ground is decoying pigeons with shot guns so air rifles are a bit new to me. i have a .22 and a nitesite. i was down there the other night and saw a few rabbits, a fox, fair amount of crows and loads of peasants (not allowed to shoot). so any advice on how to make the most of this permission would be appreciated, thanks in advance

The thing is, you can't really shoot the pigeons under the general licence on a golf course. The course could gen up a letter stating that they want to encourage songbirds, etc in the wilder areas, and the corvid numbers need reducing to accomplish this (so you'd be able to shoot the corvids in that case), but I don't see how you could shoot pigeons legally.

Rabbits, if they're a problem then just fill your boots. The foxes will be helping you out in this too.

And I think you mean pheasants ... it depends how posh the golf course is !

i have just got permission on a golf course very near to my house. they don't have any major pest problems but just like to keep on top of the rabbits, crows and pigeons. i have some very basic experience on lamping but would appreciate any other advice on how to get some rabbits. my back ground is decoying pigeons with shot guns so air rifles are a bit new to me. i have a .22 and a nitesite. i was down there the other night and saw a few rabbits, a fox, fair amount of crows and loads of peasants (not allowed to shoot). so any advice on how to make the most of this permission would be appreciated, thanks in advance

How big is the golf course. I am asking because if it's large with rural surroundings then put in for a .22 rimfire rifle will deal with the rabbits much better and once you get enough experience put in for a more powerful rifle e.g. .17HMR to deal with foxes or larger depending on the surroundings.

How big is the golf course. I am asking because if it's large with rural surroundings then put in for a .22 rimfire rifle will deal with the rabbits much better and once you get enough experience put in for a more powerful rifle e.g. .17HMR to deal with foxes or larger depending on the surroundings.

If air rifles are new to him, probably not a good idea to suggest he put in for his FAC.

The thing is, you can't really shoot the pigeons under the general licence on a golf course. c

why not?

so long as they have demonstrated they have attempted other means or moving/removing them and can prove that there is damage or a health and safety issue

why not?

so long as they have demonstrated they have attempted other means or moving/removing them and can prove that there is damage or a health and safety issue

Could you post up a link to the GL which shows that you can kill birds which are causing damage to ground such as a golf course ?

Because I think it doesn't, and the GLs are pretty clear on exactly what you can shoot them over (protecting crops, etc).

Unless I've missed something, of course.

I've got a permission on a golf course....Basically they've asked me to target the Rabbits and Crows....Ideally they don't want me shooting apart from Dawn/Dusk and Night when no Golfers are on the course but I can shoot the front 9 if there are a couple of late golfers finishing their rounds but no shotgun/loud bangs so only air rifle.

I've been using my air rifle at Dusk and then mainly lamping at night with the shotgun.....there are 3 main issue areas and it takes 20-30 mins to walk between all three so I kind of rotate between them and then wait to see what's about and then move onto the next area.

I've been borrowing a mates night vision on my rifle which makes things easier, but going to buy my own this week.

Could you post up a link to the GL which shows that you can kill birds which are causing damage to ground such as a golf course ?

Because I think it doesn't, and the GLs are pretty clear on exactly what you can shoot them over (protecting crops, etc).

Unless I've missed something, of course.

Interpretation is 9/10 of the law

it is as much up to the "authorised person" to prove the need for control as it is to prove the health and safety aspect

golf courses rely on grass

grass is a crop regardless of how you look at it, it requires seed, pigeons eat seed, ergo - shoot the *******

bird **** is a health and safety concern for anyone with paying clients visiting a site

pigeons **** on equipment, ergo shoot the *******!

I could go on

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-take-or-kill-for-health-or-safety-purposes

You can only use this licence to preserve public health or public safety.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-take-or-kill-to-prevent-damage-or-disease

You can only use this licence to prevent serious damage to:

• livestock
  • foodstuffs for livestock
  • crops, vegetables and fruit
  • growing timber
  • fisheries or inland waters

You can also use it to stop the spread of disease.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-take-or-kill-for-conservation-purposes

You can only use this licence to protect:

• wildlife (including wild birds)
  • vegetation

My Golf permission said that the crows have done hundreds of pounds worth of damage on a couple of fairways......which meets the GL.....which states the license is granted for DAMAGE.

Wild birds: licence to take or kill to prevent damage or disease

Edited by prem1234

Just be aware that some golfers can be fanatical and will be out on the course when you think that every other right minded soul - apart from yourself - is safely tucked up in bed.

Yes you're not wrong there....One of the golf courses near me do night golf....you play with golf balls that illuminate when struck for 10 mins and they put glow sticks on the flags :)

Edited by prem1234

The thing is, you can't really shoot the pigeons under the general licence on a golf course. The course could gen up a letter stating that they want to encourage songbirds, etc in the wilder areas, and the corvid numbers need reducing to accomplish this (so you'd be able to shoot the corvids in that case), but I don't see how you could shoot pigeons legally.

And I think you mean pheasants ... it depends how posh the golf course is !

Could you not argue that when the green keeper is putting seed down on areas that get most abuse I.e. Tees, greens and divots that haven't been replaced by the golfer so the green keeper has to, would be good reason because if the course deteriorates the business will loose trade and suffer financially. The course I shoot on asked me to keep an eye on the pigeons/crows I checked with gmp and they said its fine.

ATB 425

Crows and rooks do untold damage to a course when they are after chaffer grubs. When looking at the damage it looks like someone has been there with a spade and turned over the top inch of turf. They can wreck a green in a matter of minutes. I've seen them do this on a number of occasions. A green had to be relaid completely. I shoot rabbits over a course and started off with an Air Arms S410 air rifle. This accounted for a large number of rabbits but you need to develop your field craft to get close enough (about 35yds max). I went over to .22 rimfire and continue to do so.

Before you go out after them please make sure you can hit a Polo mint at 35yds consistently though as we owe it to our quarry to ensure a clean kill, between the eye and the ear.

Faeces on the ground can be shown as H&S matter and needing to be kept at bay... i.e what if a golfer was taking a shot under a tree used by pigeons to roost and slipped on the droppings?

Crikey, we had some odd excuses when I worked for a large well known pest control company by firms wanting to get rid of birds, but mostly it was the H&S that got it sorted.

Crows and rooks do untold damage to a course when they are after chaffer grubs. When looking at the damage it looks like someone has been there with a spade and turned over the top inch of turf. They can wreck a green in a matter of minutes. I've seen them do this on a number of occasions. A green had to be relaid completely. I shoot rabbits over a course and started off with an Air Arms S410 air rifle. This accounted for a large number of rabbits but you need to develop your field craft to get close enough (about 35yds max). I went over to .22 rimfire and continue to do so.

Before you go out after them please make sure you can hit a Polo mint at 35yds consistently though as we owe it to our quarry to ensure a clean kill, between the eye and the ear.

Yes exactly....initially the green keeper thought he had an issue with Badgers as the damage was that bad until the crows were identified as the culprits

I've got a permission on a golf course....Basically they've asked me to target the Rabbits and Crows....Ideally they don't want me shooting apart from Dawn/Dusk and Night when no Golfers are on the course but I can shoot the front 9 if there are a couple of late golfers finishing their rounds but no shotgun/loud bangs so only air rifle.

I've been using my air rifle at Dusk and then mainly lamping at night with the shotgun.....there are 3 main issue areas and it takes 20-30 mins to walk between all three so I kind of rotate between them and then wait to see what's about and then move onto the next area.

I've been borrowing a mates night vision on my rifle which makes things easier, but going to buy my own this week.

thanks to all the reply s on this subject very help full.

prem1234, how did you get on with the night vision. i have a nitesite and found i couldn't get close enough before the rabbits bolted. should i be waiting in one spot, try lamping or something else. admittedly there are not many rabbits around so they might be very weary

• 2 weeks later...

pass our local golf course regular at stupid o clock and you can nearly always see a few setting off.

they have a huge prob with crows making off with the balls and dropping em on the rocks by the sea.

its open dusk till dawn so a bit limited on how you would deal with em without upsetting someone.

shouldn't have much trouble sorting the rabbits out with nv ,how close you trying to get.