Fishing Bivvy Advice.

Salop Matt

Folks I havent done any fishing for years, how ever.........

Twice a year I go to shooting meets where I camp over. Up untill now I have always used a small hike tent and slept on the ground on a foam roll matt.

How ever doing this last year found me waking in the morning after a poor nights sleep feeling like I had been run over in the night by a tank :unhappy:

I am now in need of a new tent/Bivvy and when I think about it the folk at these meets who have appeared to sleep in most comfort have been the lads with the carp fishing Bivvys and the beds!

So I feel I deserve a bit of comfort and a decent nights sleep so I figure I should go for a Bivvy and bed too.

So what I need to know is:

* Is it possible to get something for £100?

* Would a one man Bivvy be okay for a bed and a bit of room for storing a cloths bag, or is two man a nessarsary ?

* What brands/models should I look out for?

* Would I be better buying second hand for better quallity?

* If second hand is the way to go where should I look other than ebay/preloved ?

Cheers guys,

Matt :good:

Most important thing is its ability to keep the weather out and good ventilation to prevent condensation ( often worse than the rain getting in). There's nothing wrong with second hand as many carp fisherman upgrade (tackle tarts) often. As I've already mentioned, condensation can be a big problem so good ventilation or a second outer skin will reduce this dramatically. Also need a decent groundsheet.

Before you buy or bid on anything used, talk to the seller and ask them if they are happy to put a hose on it in their garden for a while to prove seams are waterproof. If they won't then don't buy.

Type in biivvy with winter skin or twin skin (remember that there needs to be an air gap between the inner and outer skin to prevent condensation) in eBay and there are loads of used options which will make a lot less than your £100. Look for something with 5000 hydrostatic waterproof material. I've just looked and You can buy a brand new twin skin on eBay for not much more than £100 that'll be guaranteed and will be good enough for the little use you'll give it. There's a 2 man JRC STI twin skin used 5 times for £105 buy it now so there are bargains out there with a bit of negotiation.

Edited by Suffolkngood

Most important thing is its ability to keep the weather out and good ventilation to prevent condensation ( often worse than the rain getting in). There's nothing wrong with second hand as many carp fisherman upgrade (tackle tarts) often. As I've already mentioned, condensation can be a big problem so good ventilation or a second outer skin will reduce this dramatically. Also need a decent groundsheet.

Before you buy or bid on anything used, talk to the seller and ask them if they are happy to put a hose on it in their garden for a while to prove seams are waterproof. If they won't then don't buy.

Type in biivvy with winter skin or twin skin (remember that there needs to be an air gap between the inner and outer skin to prevent condensation) in eBay and there are loads of used options which will make a lot less than your £100. Look for something with 5000 hydrostatic waterproof material. I've just looked and You can buy a brand new twin skin on eBay for not much more than £100 that'll be guaranteed and will be good enough for the little use you'll give it. There's a 2 man JRC STI twin skin used 5 times for £105 buy it now so there are bargains out there with a bit of negotiation.

Spot on...though I don't find condensation too much of a problem personally because I always sleep with the door partly or fully open.

I recently bought one of these and for the money its excellent. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/tfgear-force-8-speed-lite-bivvy-1-man-p196118

Mike,

Go outdoors caught my eye also with these two:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vision-kenwick-st-quick-rib-p207812

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vision-kashkym-xt-twin-skin-1-man-dome-p218154

But its knowing if one of these beds will fit in it one :hmm:

Either will do the job.............. But if the weathers nasty and you need to zip the door up a bit then the twin skin will stop the condensation dripping on you and your gear whilst you sleep. You just need to check that the twin skin actually comes with the groundsheet shown in the picture as it's not mentioned in the spec? Edited by Suffolkngood

have a look at JRC bivvys...cracking value and last a long time..

I have had mine nearly 7 years now...never leaked in any weather ..stable and very easy to put up and down...and I have used it when working at festivals etc

is one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/jrc-sti-mk-2-twin-skin-bivvy-/271835407393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f4aa72421

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jrc-sti-10-000-bivvy-/321723220550?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae832c246