Speed Cameras

subsonicnat

I always stop on the carriageway and then reverse onto my drive, it makes it easier to get out again. The number of idiots that stop behind me and then start honking their horn, like it was my fault for being there.

And you're surprised people get annoyed by that? I'm not surprising people get frustrated, it might be more convenient for you but it's hardly advisable on a road where exceeding the limit is allegedly common place. Asking for trouble in my opinion.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you're surprised people get annoyed by that? I'm not surprising people get frustrated, it might be more convenient for you but it's hardly advisable on a road where exceeding the limit is allegedly common place. Asking for trouble in my opinion.

and?....reversing out of his drive blind is safer????

you do realise that in certain circumstances reversing into the carriage way may well be illegal...certainly against the highway code....

moreover what happened to plain good manners....

when I learned to drive I was taught that giving way to manouevering vehicles was the "right" thing to do (since they were, by the nature of what they were doing "hampered" by restrcted vsibility etc...)

too much ME ME ME about IMO

Well said

:shaun:

The fact is humans are very poor at judging how skilled they are at an activity like driving, most people would say that they are above average drivers - which statistically cannot be possible.

I've been driving for nearly 30 years and have never been fined or given points for speeding, it's not difficult to stay within the law. However, some people seem to think that they are so skilled or special that the law shouldn't apply to them.

Just because you have been driving for 30 years and not had a fine or points does not mean you are a good or a safe driver

and?....reversing out of his drive blind is safer? ???

you do realise that in certain circumstances reversing into the carriage way may well be illegal...certainly against the highway code....

Who said anything about the view from his drive being blind? Did he say he was driving a van with little or no rear visibility? The point I was making is that as he's incapable of making his intention to reverse into his drive clear to other drivers and calls them idiots for not being able to read his mind, driving in and then reversing out of his drive may be a better option. His car slowly coming off his drive with his reversing lights on will give other drivers a pretty good idea what he's about to do and he can chose a safe moment to do it. I mean if someone is driving up your ***, popping the indicators on and stopping in the middle of the road before slipping it into reverse isn't exactly the sharpest move now is it? How hard would it be to pull over, let the idiot pass and the traffic clear a bit then reverse into his drive when safe to do so?

Hmm, well yes thanks I'm perfect aware it's not legal or advisable to reverse onto a highway. The highway code states it might be better to reverse into your drive and drive out, but it isn't a rule and in some circumstances it might not be advisable.

Edited by MartynGT4

I wonder what the German population would make of speed cameras on their autobahns?

The covert cameras on the M25 are all about revenue - every gantry has speed cameras and the capability to turn on a flashing sign and so to switch those off in favour of hidden grey boxes is to serve what purpose?

Personally I could not give a damn how idiots want to drive, just STOP moaning when you get caught. Another fatal over this last weekend. Another tree involved. Perhaps we should be removing trees that are growing within 25 yards of any Highway. We already know what a menace those bloomin lamposts are and they always put them where vehicles can hit them, crash barriers and road traffic signs are the same, they should not be put anywhere near the road and then people would not hit them and as for those chevron boards, it must cost a fortune to replace them too. Put them all in the middle of the adjoining fields, then everyone will be safer ! Of course if people drove within their limitations and the limitations of their vehicles, perhaps roads would also be safer.

Edited by Westley

Personally I could not give a damn how idiots want to drive, just STOP moaning when you get caught. Another fatal over this last weekend. Another tree involved. Perhaps we should be removing trees that are growing within 25 yards of any Highway. We already know what a menace those bloomin lamposts are and they always put them where vehicles can hit them, crash barriers and road traffic signs are the same, they should not be put anywhere near the road and then people would not hit them and as for those chevron boards, it must cost a fortune to replace them too. Put them all in the middle of the adjoining fields, then everyone will be safer ! Of course if people drove within their limitations and the limitations of their vehicles, perhaps roads would also be safer.

Put a big spike in the middle of steering wheels, that'll slow em down!

Talking about steering wheels, I remember going to a scrap yard years ago and seeing a bent up Capri. Had a look inside to see what was left of the interior and saw a front tooth deeply buried in the top of the steering wheel. Now if you're old enough to remember what Ford steering wheels were like you'll know they were made of rock hard rubber. You'd have to use a claw hammer to get a tooth to stick in that deep. I doubt the driver survived and if he did, I wouldn't have wanted his dental bill. Slowed me down for sure!

Edited by MartynGT4

No use Speeding then slowing down you would not be able to check the average yourself, it would be impossible..

I recently got a new TomTom satnav and was driving on the continent (France, Belgium, Netherlands) where they use these average speed cameras quite a bit. When you went into an average speed camera area, the TomTom would make a specific warning sound, show you the average speed limit for the stretch of road you were on, and below that show your current calculated average speed as you were moving along. Seemed to work well - and from what I could tell, everyone was keeping to their speed. I think it is a sign of what is to come in the UK.

Despite being retired I'm still clocking up 25k annually (with only one SP30 in 44yrs driving and no accidents in last 30yrs) and the problems I see, which are blamed on speed, poor road design, mobile phones etc etc, are almost entirely down to poor (and in some cases very very poor) driving. Indeed some of the drivers I encounter really should be locked up in an institution! I'm a reasonably calm and considered person who very rarely loses his temper but when an HGV driver deliberately (& I saw the smile) drives me up the pavement a red mist appeared. In my long driving history this has happened only three times but I see examples of very poor driving almost daily and our roads are the safest in Europe. What is the solution - no traffic cops to be seen these days??

the first was that local politicians expected and insisted that officers of a Council do as they were told by the elected representatives of the people. So professional independence, a brake on thoughtless action was removed.

+1

The reason speed limits are held in general contempt is they are all too often political.

There was a Fatal outside my house , the police estimated the drivers speed to be 95 - 100 Mph .

The local councilors were under pressure to do something so the speed limit was dropped from NSL to 50 , the locals knew this was a knee jerk reaction and so carried on at 60 regardless.

I recently got a new TomTom satnav and was driving on the continent (France, Belgium, Netherlands) where they use these average speed cameras quite a bit. When you went into an average speed camera area, the TomTom would make a specific warning sound, show you the average speed limit for the stretch of road you were on, and below that show your current calculated average speed as you were moving along. Seemed to work well - and from what I could tell, everyone was keeping to their speed. I think it is a sign of what is to come in the UK.

In some countries you can get fined for using tomtom camera alerts,same as snoopers and the like.

Can I get fined for using UK sat-navs in France?

Technically, yes. If your sat-nav tells you the locations of speed cameras, then you're in breach of the law, whether or not the device is switched on. The fine for French motorists having such a device is 1,500 plus six points on your driving license. However we understand police aren't allowed to inspect a GPS or mobile phone to verify whether your device has speed camera warnings without a good reason.

Edited by Davyo

I suppose you could put a camera there ?

You think that would stop or alter the driving habits of someone who would do 100 mph through there? Someone like that may slow for 100 yards and then it's back on the gas. Alternatively if you have no license, no tax, no insurance etc then it wouldn't even slow you down. The point is it's attempting to legislate for a small minority but screwing the majority.

You think that would stop or alter the driving habits of someone who would do 100 mph through there? Someone like that may slow for 100 yards and then it's back on the gas. Alternatively if you have no license, no tax, no insurance etc then it wouldn't even slow you down. The point is it's attempting to legislate for a small minority but screwing the majority.

Yeah probably ?

In some countries you can get fined for using tomtom camera alerts,same as snoopers and the like.

Can I get fined for using UK sat-navs in France?

Technically, yes. If your sat-nav tells you the locations of speed cameras, then you're in breach of the law, whether or not the device is switched on. The fine for French motorists having such a device is 1,500 plus six points on your driving license. However we understand police aren't allowed to inspect a GPS or mobile phone to verify whether your device has speed camera warnings without a good reason.

Tomtom and most satnavs disable the illegal features depending on the country you are in. More info here

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/content/id/8/locale/en_GB

All the average speed feature does is tell you what your average speed is while in an average speed zone. Not illegal.

Exactly, if someone is going to do a 100 mph through a residential area, lowering the speed limit is pointless.

Laws are only for the law abiding.

There is a section of dual carriageway on the outskirts of my town that is restricted to 50MPH its in the middle of a 4 mile section of national speed limit dual carriageway, its approx 500 yards long if that,I am constantly amazed watching those who I have passed on the unrestricted section leading to it, come flying past me when I have slowed down to observe it, only for me to re pass them after it, seems they think 80MPH on an unrestricted bit is not on, but 67 is ok in the 50?

KW