Bitches in season.

JDog

Both Bounder the Border and Jasper the Sprocker are off their food at the moment. I suspect that the reason is that there is a bitch in season which is regularly walked along the footpath near my house. The dogs find the 'sweet spot' and their noses are glued to it.

From the experience of others how long might this situation last?

As far as I am aware its roughly a three week cycle where the bitch is prime in the middle week. The first week they will attract dogs but not stand, the middle week they stand and can get pregnant and the last week if not pregnant they "clear out" (so to speak).

I would say it should last about 2 weeks.

You could always politely ask the owner of the other dog to walk elsewhere for a week or two :)

As far as I am aware its roughly a three week cycle where the bitch is prime in the middle week. The first week they will attract dogs but not stand, the middle week they stand and can get pregnant and the last week if not pregnant they "clear out" (so to speak).

I would say it should last about 2 weeks.

You could always politely ask the owner of the other dog to walk elsewhere for a week or two :)

Or as a newcomer to the village it might be more diplomatic to walk the boys somewhere else for a week or too.

I have two bitches and I am very careful where I walk them when they are in season as I know how some dogs can be. I tend to take them later at night (when no other dog walkers are about) and further out of the way. I just feel its my responsibility.

I wouldn't mind anyone approaching me and politely asking me if I could walk elsewhere for a period of time. Especially if it was affecting the well being of someones dog (i.e. not eating etc). But I suppose we are not all the same :no:

I have two bitches and I am very careful where I walk them when they are in season as I know how some dogs can be. I tend to take them later at night (when no other dog walkers are about) and further out of the way. I just feel its my responsibility.

I wouldn't mind anyone approaching me and politely asking me if I could walk elsewhere for a period of time. Especially if it was affecting the well being of someones dog (i.e. not eating etc). But I suppose we are not all the same :no:

Me neither, but we are reasonable folks. Some folks aren't so reasonable and in a small village can be a pain. Especially if it turns out the owner of the bitch is the local cantankerous large landowner with lots of potential pigeon shooting land.