first training session

ShootingEgg

Took my 5 month old springer to his first session last night, basic lead training and sit on whistle. I was pleasantly surprised at how well behaved he was around the other dogs. We did one attempt at a retrieve which he blinked which i was kind of expecting as not really done anything like that woth him.

One thing that got me this morning when taking him out was that he was a bit shy of walking on lead, pulling back as if to say he didn't want to Walk.

Any ideas? May this just be because he has been used to off lead walking.

One other thing which im very happy with was this morning i sat him, dropped the lead and took three paces back, walked 360 around him and called him in, and he didnt flinch until i recalled him.

My little cocker is a real pain for hanging back on the lead and I put this down to me not using the lead enough (it's the only thing I can think of). On general walks she is fine, on picking up days she is fine but on walked up shoots particularly when I have another dog hunting up instead of her she becomes a real fussy girl and refuses to walk on the lead , she heels well though so i have to shamefully admit that I let her win that one because she so good in every other area

As bigbird has said above that might also be possible.

I would also say when you sit/stay him and move away don't call him up, go back to him and reward with praise, treat, or retrieve (mix it up a bit).

Edited by lee-kinsman

It could also be because dogs don't generalise well out of context. For example if pup is used to walking off lead in the same area then just because he was walking on the lead in your session his learning hasn't carried over to other places - particularly familiar places where he's used to doing his own thing.

It could also be because dogs don't generalise well out of context. For example if pup is used to walking off lead in the same area then just because he was walking on the lead in your session his learning hasn't carried over to other places - particularly familiar places where he's used to doing his own thing.

That i hadn't thought of but i agree with what you are saying. Maybe i will take him to a new location for the lead training so he isnt used to being free to roam