So, So rusty!

motty

Motty knows I was only jesting ,I'm never offended if he or amy of my shooting buddy's have a good day and I don't just had a call from one of my permission could I keep an eye on a 100 acre of peas he drilled this week ,its only on a very good flightline.

Oooh very nice .

Motty knows I was only jesting ,I'm never offended if he or amy of my shooting buddy's have a good day and I don't just had a call from one of my permission could I keep an eye on a 100 acre of peas he drilled this week ,its only on a very good flightline.

give motty a call :whistling:

Guest stevo

This year has been a strange one for me, so far. There has been no shortage of pigeons, but for me there has been a shortage of the right opportunities. Certain farms have grown no rape in the 'right' areas, which would normally have given me a decent bit of sport by now, and the drillings have been very disappointing this year ( though a couple of farms still have some late stuff to go in).

Yesterday I went and had an outing on some rape that has been hammered by pigeons. I have always had permission to shoot the field, but I didn't realise that. Anyway, I had been keeping an eye on it daily for the last week or so and decided that the birds must decoy, from the way they had been behaving. The only doubt in my mind was the fact that there is a similar field a few hundred yards away that the birds might use if disturbed.

I arrived at the field at around 08.30, to find a good few tucking in in the spot which was damaged the most and also where I planned to set up. Good start. The sun was shining and there was a nice light breeze blowing from the right of my hide position.

I chucked out a load of flocked shells and started with two flappers. I wanted to start without the faithful rotary and see how the birds would commit. A nice little hide was erected in the little dry ditch than runs along the edge of the field with a row of conifers.

A few birds came around in small numbers; the flocks have well and truly broken up. I managed to shoot a few and miss a few. I was sure my shooting would improve.

As usual I added freshly shot birds. I wasn't happy with the amount of birds passing by without dropping in, Was my pattern not attractive enough? It thought it was time for the magnet. I had tried the other set up for well over an hour and it wasn't working as well as I thought it would. The difference made was easy to see. Pigeons started to 'attack' the magnet. The only problem now was my shooting. I had ditched the silenced .410 earlier, as I had struggled for clean kills, but I was almost as bad with the twelve! I just had to work out what I was doing wrong. Birds I would probably normally hit blindfolded were flying off with their middle finger (claw?) up. I was probably just really rusty. I've only shot a few hundred pigeons this year and I can't remember the last time I had a go at clays.

I think I was missing the birds behind, due to a bit of a stuttery swing. As if by magic, though, my form returned. I started dropping doubles easily and the confidence came flooding back. This was enough to put a smile on my face.

For the remainder of the day, nothing that came to the pattern was safe. With all the dead birds out providing a convincing pattern and my renewed shooting ability, the pigeons only hope was safety in numbers.

Just as I was contemplating packing up, I picked a few birds that had been hit hard and died a way off. I was accosted by the nice lady who lives in the house at the end of the field, that asked me if I 'had to keep bangin' them guns'. She said she would report me to the coppers as I was 'setting her chickens off'. I just walked away. I packed up not long after that with a decent bag of 71. I enjoyed it once I started to shoot straight. I did film some of it, so I may post some footage of that soon.

rusty my a55 haha 71 is a good day in anyones books .

I know what you mean about a poor start now and then , motty the fact you turned it around is what sorts the wheat from the chaff mate , great read mate and well done

Where has this need for people who often have nothing to do with the farms come from to complain!

10 years ago the little old lady living next door to the field would have come out asking for a few birds! these days its complaining about noise, complaining about mud on the road, complaining about the pigeons!!

I must say i am really uneasy about shooting near villages or housesthese days that i dont know who lives there.

Just feel it aint worth the hassle.