17 remington

neil w

A new rifle to me and calibre, read so much about this tiny pill I do hope It will come up to my expectations.More than sure, It will, long-range corvid bashing. :lol:

Just can't wait to try It out on paper first, then move on to corvids or other, vermin. Going to start re-loading just need a press. Got all the paraphernalia that I need, factory ammo Is £2 a pop :rolleyes: . So will keep you all posted In how I get on with my new quest .

What powder bud? Good group.

That's with 23gr of Benchmark and a 20gr Vmax bullet. I haven't chronographed them, but I would guess around the 3900-4000fps mark.The barrel is a 26" pac-nor. Unfortunately its a 1:10" twist which is fine with 20gr Vmax and the 25gr hollowpoint, but not so hot with the 25gr Vmax or the 30gr Bergers.

That's with 23gr of Benchmark and a 20gr Vmax bullet. I haven't chronographed them, but I would guess around the 3900-4000fps mark.The barrel is a 26" pac-nor. Unfortunately its a 1:10" twist which is fine with 20gr Vmax and the 25gr hollowpoint, but not so hot with the 25gr Vmax or the 30gr Bergers.

Never tried benchmark.

25grn is plenty in 17rem any way :-)

If factory ammo is around £2 a bang, what would home loading bring it down to?

Just interested

:shaun:

Its tricky to quantify for me as I bought a lot of 17 rem brass when it was £25 per hundred or less. Assuming that cost, the cases works out at 25p each, but obviously can be reloaded several times. Powder at say £40 a pound would give you 300 23gr loads. So say 13p per load for powder. I cant recall what I paid for my last lot of small rifle primers. Lets say £30 per 1000 so 3p per round, the bullets are quite expensive so say £20 per 100 or 20p each.

I would say on that basis I can reload at about 60p per round, but brass is probably closer to £50 per 100 which would put it closer to 86p per round. I would think under £1 per round is easily achievable disregarding the initial outlay for the reloading dies etc. I can't find loaded ammo around here (or not at an economic price) so reloading is pretty much the only option. I don't in all honesty think a .17 Rem is a good idea if you don't reload.