What .22lr do you chaps recommend

storsey

Good evening ...

I'm looking for my first .22lr .... It's predominately for rabbits on my permission . I just can't get close enough to use the shotgun and obviously the rimfire will give the chance of multiple shots as it's a bit quieter than my 686 .... The farm has approval for this calibre so no worrys there but I genuinely don't know which one to buy ....I'd prefer a shorter barrel .. Probably like a 16" but which gun .. Cz , or BSA or anshutz... I'm gonna spend around £400 ish so second hand would probably be my choice so I can get a better quality gun but any how any comments or suggestion would be most welcome

I'm looking for my first .22 as well as a .17hmr and can't decide between a CZ or a sako finnfire.

I'm trying to work out if the sako is worth double the money of a CZ as a lot of reviews seem to say the new ones aren't as good as the originals. If anyone can throw any others into the hat that'll be good

Cheers

Mate has a Sako Finnfire. It is a gorgeous quality rifle with stunning wood. So stunning he doesn't bring it put much lest he marks it. Personally I can't see the point in having a gun you're frightened of using, but each to their own. We take my CZ every time. It is synthetic stocked, chopped to 16" and a proper workhorse.

Mate has a Sako Finnfire. It is a gorgeous quality rifle with stunning wood. So stunning he doesn't bring it put much lest he marks it. Personally I can't see the point in having a gun you're frightened of using, but each to their own. We take my CZ every time. It is synthetic stocked, chopped to 16" and a proper workhorse.

That's the one thing worrying me about the sako is that it looks far too good! Although I wouldn't be scared to use it I would be gutted if it got dinged. The CZ in synthetic with the nickel action looks very good to me as well. Already got some decent glass to go on it either a leupold or a Swarovski 6x42 haven't decided yet.

What's everyone's views on barrel lengths to go for for the .17 and the .22

i would say anschutz if you want quality and the best trigger you can get imho,sako really nice guns,good trigger,but you would have to pay more to get the barrel shortened,cz good guns and very popular,poor trigger but you can get a kit fitted, have no experience of weihrauch but very good guns by all accounts,accuracy wise, probably all the same,barrel length 14"- 16"

Ha :) Well i would have to say Sako Finfire. My HMR is a CZ 452 Varmint. Put the two alongside each other and theres no comparison as regards quality and finish. The stock on my Finfire is a beautiful piece of timber and better than many supposed gr 5 Browning/Miroku. Blueing is better and the trigger is better than the CZ even with a trigger kit fitted. All that said the Cz does the job. In short its a workhorse and at the end of the day thats what the vast majority of shooters want. However if you want something perhaps that little bit special and a bit different from the norm and want to own something of beauty then buy a Finfire or an Anshutz.

All that said it comes down to what you want . Whichever you choose you won't go wrong. The Cz will do the job. Resale value will be higher on the Sako but remember you will have paid more for it in the first place.

Would my Finfire be a keeper? yes without doubt. Is my Cz a keeper? sadly no but that is more so much to do with the calibre than the rifle.

My Finfire is an older model rather than the re-introduced Finfire 2 so i can't comment on whether the quality is the same as the original Finfire . Somehow i doubt not.

Hope this helps :good:

ATB,

Pat

The CZ is the standard really, as pretty much everyone has mentioned.

I got lucky with an older weihrauch hw60 in 22 flavour, anshutz are also stunning but new these are way out of my budget.

I've got a cz 452 varmint in 17hmr with trigger kit and it's bang on.

With a £400 budget you should be able to get a full cz set up in good condition I'd have thought, gun only and you can possibly find one of the more prestige brands.

Edit: I'll add that's with buying 2nd hand not new.

Edited by Muddy Funker

+1 for CZ. :good:

If you can find a nice CZ452, that would be ideal but they are being phased out so might be difficult to find new. I have a CZ455 which is an excellent rifle too, but just about anything from the CZ stable will be a winner. There is nothing that even comes close for the money. ;)