one eye shut or both open?

Guest Mick.j

If he's shooting right handed, then both open is usually best

In the end it comes down to the shooter and what works for him/her.

I sometimes have to close my left eye as it takes over on certain targets

I have only been shooting since Oct/Nov so over the past 5 months have been experimenting with my left eye shut and with both eyes open.

I have now settled on both eyes open. Its the same with many sports,one technique will suit someone,whilst another technique will suit someone else.

Sometimes beginners find it initially easier to learn how to hit things with left eye closed; then having done so are then later able to switch to both eyes open, reaping the benefits of the extra vision that that brings.

Providing of course they are right handed :lol::lol:

The best course of action to have a lesson or two, it will be money well spent

Eye dominance is a fascinating subject and the brain is a powerful bit of kit

If you shoot from the right shoulder with both eyes open, but have a slight left eye dominance you will not perform aswel as you could on most targets. You may however find that right to left fast crossers are something you do well at.,,the reason for this is because you see down the left side of the rib. Turning the gun to the left, you over lead the target and because its fast you hit it as it flies into the

Shot trail.

You can see this with the incoming pigeon, the brain thinks you on the nose or beak but you are actually shooting the left wing as you look at it. Spsctacular roll and fall but the bird walks off, get you eye dom checked tomorrow and stick to the conclusion.

Slight eye dom problems get worse as you get tired and stressed with your performance.

Flycoy

There are some targets on a sporting course where shooting 1 eyed is a disadvantage because you need both eyes open to see the lead gap when the target is behind the barrels. Examples would be teal shots, driven and targets going away downhill.

Vision simply works better with both eyes open but the shotgun has to be mounted appropriately. Those who 'rifle mount' such that no rib is in the field of view are probably better off closing the 'spare' eye most of the time, especially if they're cross dominant.

Edited by Westward

I start with both open, pick up and track the target and when I'm happy I have it, I close my left and fire.

This is a good method to use if it suits you . I often encourage clients to use this technique, both eyes open gives you a better judgement of distance, then as you say close the problem eye just as you shoot. The problem comes if you try to judge lead with a eye dominance issue in control. We are not talking of a massive effect in your performance if you have a slight eye to central dominance, but maybe 1 or 2 clays per stand. Going away or straight on driven targets your brain will think you are in line but you will be off slightly, catching the targets edge or missing altogether. A few millemetres off at the gun is a good distance at the target. Eye dominance can change during your life so check it when you get the chance if you are having problems. That "I can't understand why I missed that" is often an eye dom issue.

Shoot straight and staysafe!

Flycoy

Shooting a shotgun both eyes open has advantages but some like myself just can't do it for various reasons.

I know a few very good shot who only use one eye I know a lot of terrible shots who use two.

As for rifles I shoot both eyes open it helps with situational awareness around the target.

Agree with what you're saying but im so used to shutting the eye its hard to keep it open

If it works for you and you are happy with how you get on then that's fine, if you are trying to gain as much advantage as poss, then providing the closed eye is not dominate once open then some practice would allow you to comfortably use it.

With clays, all these slight improvements help to build up you averages, giving you more cage confidence ( another subject to talk about if anyones interested), relaxing you, and improving confidence, so improving your score.

But the idea is that you enjoy your shooting so do what makes you comfortable and happy!

Flycoy