Not just hawk food

fruity

Hi all

Pretty well all my rabbits go to a friend with raptors.

The elderly lady across the road , knocked the door shortly after I arrived home from work , she had signed for a parcel on my behalf.

We got chatting and she asked could I get some rabbits, as she hasn't had rabbit since her husband passed away over 2 years ago .

So rather than hawk food my 70 Year old neighbour rabbits awaits her, gutted and in the fridge.

Have to look after her she makes lovely cakes :)

post-48582-0-30162500-1429311337_thumb.jpg

Well done to you, ten Housepoints.

My wife's Womens Instutute has a lot of members who lived through the 2nd World War when rabbit was a main food source . I give them a lot of rabbits as they buy these Chiinese market sold rubbish and they say my rabbits are the best tasting they have ever tasted.

If you have older neibours it always worth asking if they like rabbit . They went through a lot in the past to preserve our way of life.

Well done to you, ten Housepoints.

My wife's Womens Instutute has a lot of members who lived through the 2nd World War when rabbit was a main food source . I give them a lot of rabbits as they buy these Chiinese market sold rubbish and they say my rabbits are the best tasting they have ever tasted.

If you have older neibours it always worth asking if they like rabbit . They went through a lot in the past to preserve our way of life.

So true. When my Dad and I used to go shooting we'd get maybe 12 in a couple of hours, they were prepared, bagged and taken to the local pub (small village) where anyone who fancied one could take one - others brought in different stuff - we got a lot of good veg that way.

Good for you. :good: Most of our rabbits go to the dealer for pet food nowadays so it's nice to hear of them being put to proper use.

There was a time I used to supply quite a few folk locally and often traded them for homemade chutneys and jams etc, but it was always the older generation; my generation wont touch them with the exception of shooters.

On holiday in Malta some years ago, where rabbit is the national dish, all the older generation were tucking into rabbit with gusto. Shame it isn't so over here.

Good on you mate,

My grandfather loves rabbit, he used to have an allotment at the back of his house where he and my great grandfather bred rabbits, reared duck and hens etc for food, unfortunately when I was about 6 old the council built a school on the allotment site, I had some fun on there as a youngster

I always have a rabbit in the freezer for gramps,

Tab

Flynny

Edited by flynny

Definitely worth keeping elderly neighbours sweet. I always pass on venison, trout, pheasant, duck etc. to ours. It reaps dividends come Christmas when all my wife's online shopping turns up and we are at work and they sign for it!!!!

Stu