Too Many Miles

Friday as normal saw DB and myself scanning the fields of the Forest of Arden for Wood Pigeons in a good enough number to give us a days sport. The one problem of living in the Forest of Arden is when the buds start to burst the birds just sit in tree's and munch to there hearts content. We had completed our normal run and had seen a few birds on seed and rape but not in enough numbers to please DB so we did the loop again. This time the numbers had improved but not sufficiently so we kept looking as the speedometer in the Disco tripped the ton we found afield of clover which was so tall the birds were nearly hidden from view, We obtained permission and drove down to the field and spooked about eighty birds off the field. It was now 15.00 and we had been looking since 09.00. We set up with twelve thawed birds on cradles so they looked right. After we shot a few we set the magnet up and they continued to decoy . About 17.00 it started to tail off but we were helped again by the local Air Ambulance flying low off to the QE ( Queen Elizebeth Hospital) This stirred things up again and we continued shooting till 19.00 . Even when we had the birds in rows for the picture we had birds trying to come in. We had completed one hundred and ten miles and and shot one hundred and two birds.

Saturday was the same type of morning bright sun and an easterly wind as we set out on our quest again. We looked at some of the fields that were being drilled yesterday but we knew it was too early for them to be really productive. We looked at rape that was too tall but clapped a few birds off them but no great numbers. We had a drive to some permissions that are on the extremes of our normal territory We phoned Farmers asking if they had drilled and what seed, a good number are growing peas this year. We re coverd ground we had seen yesterday and this morning. We eventually set up on some rape that had a good flight line passing over it back to the Town and hoped we could decoy a few. It was now 15.00 again and we set up with ten birds on cradles and two on the magnet . We could only shoot till 17.30 as DB was going out with the family. We managed forty eight and five crows and in obedience to MUNCHER ( see post How to bring out PC's OCD's side) I placed them carefully in a pile for the photo.

We had completed another one hundred and twenty miles in pursuit of the elusive pigeon

96e35db3-489a-4bf6-b1cc-0e048fefb9ab_zps

This one is especially for Muncher who hates a tidy mind????????

dc982cce-041e-48f7-b5e2-df638775030a_zps

I envy your consistent good results seemingly on face value to be easily achieved each week. You seem like a chap who has a very good eye for getting things spot on no matter what the situation with the birds...what's your secret? :ninja: how many years of doing it have you spent getting bags like you do?

love the hide net btw.

Could someone please tell me how I can change my very boring and unimaginative user name into something more appropriate.

I was thinking more in terms of BOG (Boring Old ***), Or something similar, as not being exactly in my prime, the words, ancient, old or decrepit, definitely would have to figure somewhere in the title.

Having been registered for sometime now, I have been too embarrassed to join in on the great banter that I see on this forum.

I am growing a large moustache and have ordered a big hat, but still will not be able to compete with the likes of PC or JDog.

However, now that I have mastered the art of signing in to the forum, having many times forgotten my password, and being a complete technophobe and Luddite, I would like very much to join in the banter. I do also shoot a few pigeons, not however in the same league as PC or others on this forum.

Six hours looking for pigeons and not setting up until 3pm? I would have stayed in bed until midday then gone out. However 100 on clover is quite an achievement.

If we knew where they were we could have stayed in bed too, Intel ,Intel

I envy your consistent good results seemingly on face value to be easily achieved each week. You seem like a chap who has a very good eye for getting things spot on no matter what the situation with the birds...what's your secret? :ninja: how many years of doing it have you spent getting bags like you do?

love the hide net btw.

If you read my profile you will see.

Nickbar,

Clearly you do not follow PC's most excellent write ups otherwise you would know that very sadly the Dog has gone to his happy hunting ground.

Thanks

That must of had your tash twitching doing that ,must say 10 out of 10 for effort :good: .t

It took a lot of willpower to pose with such a mess?????????.