Complaint

JimLondon

So I'm out scaring woodies today and although it's quiet I'm just glad to be out there. I then saw a police officer standing next to my truck looking over at me, I give it a few minutes and decide I'd better go and have a chat.

As I get close we exchange pleasantries,he then told me he's purpose.

"We've had a complaint from the estate across the road" (shooting not housing) a pigeon I'd hit but not killed had flown over the road and fell out of the sky and died on the estate grounds!!!

We had a chat and a giggle about how ridiculous it was and he was happy to let me get on, he then had to visit the estate to let them know he'd had "a word" so I asked if he could retrieve my pigeon for me. "Do one" was he's reply "fair enough" I said as I walked back laughing.

I must remember to ring the estate next season and thank them for driving pheasants onto my perm and supplying me with some great shooting.

Shooting his birds when they come over may just possibly have upset him a bit :lol: next time you see the keeper make a point of telling him how kind he is to save you the bother of putting your own birds down, that'll cheer him up no end :good::lol: :lol:

Shooting his birds when they come over may just possibly have upset him a bit :lol: next time you see the keeper make a point of telling him how kind he is to save you the bother of putting your own birds down, that'll cheer him up no end :good::lol: :lol:

I've never met the keeper or shot he's birds as the come over. The fields closest to the estate always seem to have a lot of pheasants during the season so I assume that's were they have come from. But as la Bala has said there's always someone.

On a side note does anyone else notice that now the seasons over the pheasants seem to get more brazen,it's as if they know you can't shoot them!!

On a side note does anyone else notice that now the seasons over the pheasants seem to get more brazen,it's as if they know you can't shoot them!!

I don't think it's a matter of them being brazen at this time of the year. It's a case of them having tiny minds. Tiny minds filled with one thought and one thought only. Can't blame them too much for that I guess, I have been known to become a little preoccupied with the subject once or twice myself ;)

Most of their basic survival instincts have been done away with by being hand reared for generations, and once the idea of 'playing cocks and hens' fills their brains there's little room for any other thought.

Well, that and the fact that the darned things are just plain stupid at the best of times :)

Edited by Longstrider

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Does anyone else have permission to shoot your ground?

The estate could feel aggrieved about someone else's actions and you are taking the blame.

Or maybe they don't like having another (unconnected) person holding shooting permission just over their boundary. Some estates around here buy up the shooting permission on farms adjacent to the estate ground (even though they aren't shot) as a buffer zone for their birds.

Either way it sounds like sour grapes.

Edited by Big Al

I'm the only one who shoots there, as for introducing myself I think the fact such a trivial complaint was made in the first place tells me all I need to know about who I'd be trying to introduce myself to. I'm to long in the tooth to be playing upstairs downstairs and doffing my cap to the likes of him/her.

Jim