A cornucopia of beans.

JDog

My daily grind at the moment does not allow me to get out and shoot. The violent shaking I am feeling must be withdrawal symptoms.

However I do allow myself an hour in the afternoons to 'take the dogs out' and under that pretext I have been driving round the Wolds looking for pigeons. What I have found within a five mile radius of home is a great many fields with beans sprouting through the ground. This must be something to do with the new regulations about expanding the number of crops that farmers have to grow. Without having counted the fields I guess that there must have been thirty, maybe more.

Someone, maybe me if I can ever get on, may have decent shooting at harvest time.

You may well be right Mr JDog , and I am sure if there are pigeons using them in any numbers you have got the knowhow to seek out the land owners and fill yer boots when the time arrive ( if it arrive at all )

One thing for certain , a pigeon would have to be very unlucky to die of starvation nowadays .

Take our estate for instance ,in the last 3 or 4 years there gone back into growing rape , this year growing 200 odd acres of Peas after giving them up a few years back , growing Wheat on what was grazing land down the marsh ( as they went out of cattle ) , reduced the margins around the fields and put back any wasted land back into growing crops .

So it comes down to a lot more land for the pigeon population in your area to dine on, making it a lot more challenging for the ones like us to get it right and to be in the right field when we do go.

We have seven farms that have decided the grow peas this year to keep within the guidelines as previously only one has grow peas. I believe that the pigeon population locally will benefit from this crop.

A certain pigeon shooter might also benefit from them no names mentioned like 😉

No beans or peas in sight around here and I don't understand why I thought it compulsory to grow one of them on every farm

A certain pigeon shooter might also benefit from them no names mentioned like

No beans or peas in sight around here and I don't understand why I thought it compulsory to grow one of them on every farm

Not compulsary as far as I am aware , they just have to grow x amount of different crops to gain a certain subsidy .