The new Hawk optics for hunters - should we take them seriously?

What are your thoughts on the new Hawk optics with red dots for full bore rifles? (The new Endurance 30 IR range) Link to Hawk scopes

They have made some nice changes and include some elements like the big 3 such as etched reticles but are they a serous contender?

Perhaps structurally, they are fine but the glass and coatings are key..... What do you think?

What are your thoughts on the new Hawk optics with red dots for full bore rifles? (The new Endurance 30 IR range) Link to Hawk scopes

They have made some nice changes and include some elements like the big 3 such as etched reticles but are they a serous contender?

Perhaps structurally, they are fine but the glass and coatings are key..... What do you think?

I have one, and it's excellent. Good value for money, and it carries a 10 year warranty. :good:

Steve, have you put it next to high-end scope at dusk to see how it performs?

It was once compared with my S&B Zenith scope, as it was just getting dark, and to be honest, the S&B won hands down. But then, the Zenith scope is now around the £1200 mark, so I would have expected it to be better.

I have rarely used the IR on mine, as it's been used for rabbits at night, and I have a red LED torch to light the way. But the quality of the scope is excellent. and as mentioned, it has a 10 year guarantee.

My first one was bought from Utting's, and I thought that the reticule was hard to adjust. So I sent it back to Uttings, and within 4 days, I have a brand new one delivered, and it was in a lovely metal case.

For the money, I would recommend them. :good:

I think some get a bit too excited about scopes.

You don't have to spend a fortune for the VAST majority of Field situations.

Not everyone shoots at daft distances or at night (without NV) so they don't need silly money scopes.

Hawke make perfectly adequate scopes for the majority of shooters, for the majority of shots, on the majority of rifles, at the majority of quarry.

If you want more and can afford more then fill your boots, but lets not pretend they are always essential.

:good:

Not everyone shoots at daft distances or at night (without NV) so they don't need silly money scopes.

Hawke make perfectly adequate scopes for the majority of shooters, for the majority of shots, on the majority of rifles, at the majority of quarry.

If you want more and can afford more then fill your boots, but lets not pretend they are always essential.

Have to agree, holding zero and ability to handle bad weather are very important factors, ok a real expensive optic will give you maybe 20 minutes at last dibs but it will not make your eyes any better in the dark or being able to see blood. I tend to not shoot at last dibs unless its open ground or I have my thermal imager with me, quite a few times I have been back in the morning to track a wounded deer just to find it dean 20yds from were I shot it with a perfect heart lung shot, not just munties n Roe but fallow to. It sounds hard to imaging but a fallow in woodland can be walked past at low light.

Edited by Redgum

I totally agree! I was shooting a 7.62 F class rifle with a Hawke scope on it yesterday, It wasn't an expensive one, i don't know exactly how much it cost but to me it was perfect. I am slightly less than convinced by the arguments about top end scopes. It used to be true but the quality of even the low priced scopes is so good these days

Edited by Vince Green

That depends on your field situations.

Range days can't be compared to picking out brown deer against brown backgrounds in low light - which is when the vast majority of stalking is done.

Range days can't be compared to picking out brown deer against brown backgrounds in low light - which is when the vast majority of stalking is done.

+1.

I find that with a top end scope you get 10 mins + more shootable light then with the "value" scopes. The majority of the sika I have shot have been killed at last light and I wouldnt have stood a chance of a shot without a high end optic (in my opinion).

I specifically said field use, and made no mention of range days, and was not talking about range use, and I seriously question which is when the vast majority of stalking is done.

Regardless, you took isolated comments from my post which is not reflective of my post as a whole.

I think this is particularly relevant which is why I wrote it!

And deer at dusk must be a very limited number of shooters in the great scheme of field work anyway!

Edited by Dekers

Dekers,

I can see where Dunkield is coming from.

My first experience of stalking (you may question that) I was sat in a high seat with my rifle and mounted on top was my scope of choice a leupold VX1 3-9x40. When the Deer actually decided to show all I could make out was the rear end of the Fallow. Yet my co stalker who was around a corner some 100 or so yards away managed to drop a nice Fallow some 10 minutes after I gave up using there S&B 8x56.

Flippen 'ek

I still hold with everything in my post, this thread isn't about stalking at night, its about Hawke and centrefire. Specifically the The new Endurance 30 IR range, which by all accounts isn't bad dusk/dawn anyway!

Stalking at dusk or dawn is only a small part of centrefire use in the field, why are you all jumping on an aspect I have not argued about, which part of my post are you suggesting is wrong?

"I think some get a bit too excited about scopes.

If you want more and can afford more then fill your boots, but lets not pretend they are always essential."

:hmm::good:

Edited by Dekers

Its a bit like saying all cars must be a 4x4 simply because occasionally it snows. If you think it could be a problem for you go buy one. To suggest its essential is being a scope snob

I don't see that expensive scopes have the monopoly on light gathering ability, Its not a function governed by cost, at least not cost alone. Its all down to physics and stuff like that.

Its funny though, scopes do generate strong opinions.

Edited by Vince Green

Malkiserow,

I think.

as you say compared to high end scopes the glass is not as good with regards to light transmission. As Steve found out.

I wouldn't be buying one in the future, just simply because I have all I need.

Edited by Dougy

Stalking at dusk or dawn is only a small part of centrefire use in the field, why are you all jumping on an aspect I have not argued about, which part of my post are you suggesting is wrong?

Speak for yourself.

It is probably 99% + of all my centrefire use.

I haven't done a 'range day' in 3 years or more

Vince Green mentioned range days [it isn't all about you ;) ]

Speak for yourself.

It is probably 99% + of all my centrefire use.

I haven't done a 'range day' in 3 years or more

Vince Green mentioned range days [it isn't all about you ;) ]

:hmm::hmm: But it is all about you apparently from that post. 99% of your centrefire use is deer in the dark, fine, get a scope that works for you, where did I say you shouldn't?

My comments were not about you or me, they were a response to the OP, and they still are!

If you want to shoot all your deer dusk/dawn then fine, not everyone does, and that doesn't change a thing I said, people also use centrefires for other quarry in the field.

Edited by Dekers