George Digweed

Gordon R

Just won his 24th World title. However some may view him, there has never been a more successful clay shooter.

Or ever will be. Realistically any of the top guys of today would have to win at least one World title a year before age catches up with them, can't see it happening. GD is unfortunately no longer at his best yet he is still good enough to beat the rest.

With a record such as his, he must surely be the UK's most successful ever sportsman?

UK shooting has constantly missed the opportunity of a lifetime in not using his success as exposure for the benefit of all those who shoot within the country. A great shame.

Outside of shooting circles his fantastic achievements will receive no mention whatsoever. What does that say about us as a nation?

Any other sportsman with 24 world titles would be recognised the world over & a multi millionaire to boot ..Well done George ..

Hamster , I cant agree he's not at his best if he's still winning world titles, that would surely imply all the other shooters young & old have also lost their edge , I think the titles are harder to get than easier because of the standard and increasing popularity of clay shooting ..Nobody is letting him win , these are hard earned world titles ..

Hamster , I cant agree he's not at his best if he's still winning world titles, that would surely imply all the other shooters young & old have also lost their edge , I think the titles are harder to get than easier because of the standard and increasing popularity of clay shooting ..Nobody is letting him win , these are hard earned world titles ..

He has as much as said it himself, he can be heard saying his keen eye sight has just started to go (in context obviously ) and that video is a year or three old, he's mentioned that winning can't go on for ever and most patently he is simply not winning as regularly as he once did, also some of his lesser scores are now some distance below the winning scores of the day.

Not taking anything away from the young and rising stars of today who are hard to beat by any standard but my point was that despite now being the wrong side of 50 he is still winning major titles a single one of which have evaded most his AAA peers.

it just goes to show how madly treated heros like this are because its a shooting sport, the man is a true genius.

as people have all ready said when you think about has hussian bolt has only done half a dozen races for the tittle he has and george has done it 24 times. the guy should be knighted as well as sports personallity

i think it was a massive mistake that they have not used george many times over the years to come out with a pro shooting message, the missed opurtunities are endless

Guest Mick.j

I think he never gets the recognition he deserves because he is not the 'Pin up type' or has the marketable 'face' unlike all the other so called celebs.

You just have to look at the Olympics!!!!!!!

He deserves every accolade you could give to someone on his achievements. World titles in every decade since his twenties - That will be very difficult to beat.

Guest cookoff013

Fantastic achievement. I just wish he'd lose some weight.

at some point that extra ballast may cause him problems, i hope not. he IS an ambassador for the UK !

well done George.

Agreed, along with some of our match anglers that have represented England or the UK, eg, Alan Scotthorne http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Scotthorne

With a record such as his, he must surely be the UK's most successful ever sportsman?

UK shooting has constantly missed the opportunity of a lifetime in not using his success as exposure for the benefit of all those who shoot within the country. A great shame.

Outside of shooting circles his fantastic achievements will receive no mention whatsoever. What does that say about us as a nation?

If only he had of played football or golf he would have been minted.

Still a hell of an achievement that I cant think has been bettered in any other sport by a single person.

I agree, but i'm sure he's not short of a bob or two.

Sadly he just hasn't got the 'look' that you seem to need to be marketable so to speak....when do you see him advertising/endorsing clothing brands or products in general?

Shame because he's undoubtedly something special when it comes to shooting, but when was the last time anyone not involved with shooting was impressed with your biggest bag of pigeons/clay score??

Shooting just isn't very well received by the masses these days which is frustrating and another big part of the lack of recognition he receives I think.....

George advertises on his clothes usually his back, he is in the shooting magazines for glasses, cartridges, guns. I am a lowly clay shooter but I have a little fan club at work who are always interested in how I do at the weekend competitions and I work in a school and that includes the parents. You are right shooting does not get the recognition and those that excel are rarely lauded outside of the shooting community.

And here is my picture of George:

post-64716-0-59531600-1430398284_thumb.jpg

George does get the recognition and rewards he deserves within the shooting community, the reason he doesn't outside of it is nothing to do with his bulk. There are some very marketable looking lads and lasses with multi World/European titles besides who prove my point. George as it happens is very able/likeable in front of the camera, eloquent enough, precise and to the point.

Clay shooting is a minority interest sport, difficult to televise and difficult to get the viewer emotionally involved and in all honesty it is boring as hell to watch. There have recently been some very good efforts made in this area but even these are mainly of interest if you happen to know the individuals, the actual shooting bits are best fast forwarded because you just can't see boogger all - pop pop followed by the refs call :rolleyes::) , rather watch old clips of Interestin' Davis meself.

It's no conspiracy and it's not directed at anyone, least of all GD, shooting is just not up there in the scheme of things.