commercial ride on mowers

ditchman

yeah...i know the boys at acle.............i have bought a ransoms & Jacobson 3 deck mower...1200 hrs on the clock £ 4500 quid....it is nice and clean but never been looked after...it is blowing smoke out of the galleries so it is getting by-pass into the crankcase....i think it has been running hot and the bores are polished or the rings are stuffed...im in the process of stripping it out but i dont want to take the enjine out...i think i can do what needs to be done without doing that.......im testing the compression today so i can see what sort and how many cylinders are a problem...

Ben Burgess want £ 5000 quid to do it ...i can do it for a grand and then sell it on for £ 12000...as it will work and look like new....

just wondered if anyone has worked on these mowers before...?

If its been blowing for some time you can get a carbon build up on the oil pump suction screen. I had one which lost all oil pressure through this happening. Apart from the head gasket problems they are very good engines I have some on 12,000 hours and showing very little wear.

Edited by bornfree

If its been blowing for some time you can get a carbon build up on the oil pump suction screen. I had one which lost all oil pressure through this happening. Apart from the head gasket problems they are very good engines I have some on 12,000 hours and showing very little wear.

yeah i agree they are a good little enjine...........my only moan is the stupidity of enclosed the whole of the bottom and sides of the enjine ..in a moulded fuel tank...making impossible to clean.....

Are the bores OK?

the bores had an aluminuim "deposit" on a couple of them...took that off with a bearing scraper....then honed them with a medium set of honers (plenty of desiel lube) then lightly with fine stones and they are fine...a bit of damage but well in tolerance......

need to check the oil pump and water pump tomorrow and get the pistons and gaskets/seals costed up

Is the oil pump inside the timing gear idler. If it is I have known the pin which locates in the timing cover to break off.

i expected to see the pump in the sump....it wernt there...so i went lookin for it !.............so it is on my list .......

3508, will put it in back of landy and drop it off to you :lol: . banter aside hope it all comes good for you bud.

i will post some pics of the pistons...will make you weep.......the mower only has 1200 hrs...how can anyone treat a £30000 machine like that i dont know.................i have heard the story was that the guy who was told to use it had a grudge with the boss of the company and he ragged it something rotten....story sounds right as it is the only thing i can think of that would cause that ammount of damage...........the hydrostatic drive is fine thank god.........