DIY LOFTY POLES ?????

In the past I have used an extendable/telescopic window cleaning pole,cheap and cheerful and does the job :good: however not really that long.

Some use the poles from an old Gazebo :yes:

But I think it's best to get a set of proper bought lofting poles :good:

Whatever you decide be careful using the poles around electrical cables :good: BB

hello, as above i thought to ask what DIY made poles are members making? cant find a fishy pole/ trying to locate some ally tube, need 30 plus ft, cheers for looking

If you make your own set then be very sure that each joint can be securely and locks together. I posted some weeks back about my buddy who tried to dislodge a decoy stuck in a tree. Five poles being shaken in an up and down movement. The pole in his hand was not securely fixed to the four above it. Result? The sections separated and four poles fell vertically into his bottom lip. Hospital job and micro stitches. It could so easily have been his eye. So, do take care.

I use an old 14 meter carbon fishing pole. (Without the bulky bottom and top kit section) seems to work fine? The weights on my lofting hooks slide in to the top section and just pull out when hooked on branch. I then just push a small plastic funnel in the end to aid retrieval of Deeks.

Edited by Suffolkngood

I've tried various poles in the past and to be honest they are really hard work for the return that you get. I bought about 7 poles like those farnell ones and made a 3 bird head to fit on the top. I am a fairly strong person and found that It is a feat of strength and not easy to get the decoys up through the tree branches. Unless you have a mate to help you get the rig up into the tree and are able to set up reasonably close to a vehicle I wouldn't bother. They are too much cost and agro for the return. A magnet would work a lot better at pulling in any passing birds.

Edited by fortune

I use an old 15ft salmon fishing rod made of some type of wood (maybe mahogony yes it is that old you could cast a hammer on the end of a fly line with it) it has brass ferrules etc..... For a bit of extra height I duct tape a regular window washing pole to the end which the hooks fit into. Without the washing pole I have a small piece of tube say eight inches that goes on the end to pop the lofting hooks into, they go up easy with this.

In a wind it can be a MAJOR pain in the balls getting them down much to the amusment of passers by etc. I do the same as suffolkngood and use a funnel to help retrieve.

Edited by Andra