Any bikers on here ?

oneshotkiller

Looking to do my cbt and get my " own " first bike :)

I'm 31 and the last time I rode a bike I was 19 and borrowing a mates 250 Suzuki

Finally got a little spare cash to treat myself and always wanted one , I just love the idea of cruising round the back lanes where I live and enjoying my own company and that feeling of freedom

I obviously want to do it safely and be well prepared so I want a course after I have done my cbt to give me the skills to ride safely as I know I've come a little late to the motor bike game

Any advice and pointers for someone having a early mid lifer :D

Enjoy it. Take your time and do what feels right. Do your cbt and you can get a 125cc take your mod 1 this is all your turn in the road and slalom and general bike handling skills. and then mod 2 is about 30 mins road ride with a dvla tester. and you can ride anything but just get a feel for what's right for you. Bikes are a very social thing but also a very personal thing choose who you ride with carfully and Don't try keep up past your ability or the road conditions or limits. Take your time and enjoy it.

Lots of good bike riding courses ROSPA & IAM do them, take your time picking the right bike for you, be good to find someone local to you with experience to help select the right bike and gear,

Enjoy

PS

Just a heads up someone who has never ridden a bike in their lives will pop up soon on the thread and tell you your going to die

Edited by chrisjh

Always rode off road as a kid and into mid teens but never did my road test. 2 years ago at 32 I decided the time was right and booked in to do my CBT.

As I could already ride a bike the riding school said I would be better off doing lessons rather than the intensive course. Took 6 lessons and did module 1 and then another 1 before doing module 2.

Passed both first time and now can ride whatever I like, currently a Kawasaki 750 but soon due a change.

My advice is to crack on and do it, I am sure that you will love it.

Still riding the roads 50yrs after passing my test: daunting at the time but,in retrospect,so much simpler then.Go for it,it is one pastime that will make you forget your everyday worries.ROSPA or IAM courses will help you develop skills way beyond driving test levels or for a free option a lot of police forces do some bikesafe sessions http://www.bikesafe.co.uk/about/what-is-bikesafe/

Buy the very best helmet, gloves and boots that you can afford-they last longer and may save your skin.

Any helmet has to meet specifications and all are suspect after a drop so more expensive doesn't mean better!!

Personally I use Shark helmets. Reasonable price and comfy for me.

First bike, buy something mid-powered and bomb-proof (Honda)

Then get a Triumph and learn what spanners are for :lol:

I'm gonna do mine this year, turn 24 this year so gonna do my DAS, I feel doing it slow time and being comfortable is important with riding a bike so I think it will take me roughly 3-4 months I think.

Done my theory the other week so that's stupid part done lol (some of the questions are rediculous!)

I have had a friend pass away due to a crash on his bike so aware of the risks , but can happen slipping on the stairs

Being a mechanic im surrounded by bloody cars and vans all day so want something that's just me and machine lol

Not looking to break any speed records or be the next rt rider

Thinking of a Kawasaki or Suzuki for first bike , my friends ridden for years and recconended those two

I got back on bike at 26 after not riding sinc 17. Got myself a bandit 650sa, kept that for two years now have gsx1400 which I've had for last 4 years. Good advice is to put a value on your head then look for a helmet that costs what you think it's worth for protecting it. Don't skimp on any safety gear and get out on the roads and get some miles behind you. Never too old to get back on ya bike.

Looking to do my cbt and get my " own " first bike :)

I'm 31 and the last time I rode a bike I was 19 and borrowing a mates 250 Suzuki

Finally got a little spare cash to treat myself and always wanted one , I just love the idea of cruising round the back lanes where I live and enjoying my own company and that feeling of freedom

I obviously want to do it safely and be well prepared so I want a course after I have done my cbt to give me the skills to ride safely as I know I've come a little late to the motor bike game

Any advice and pointers for someone having a early mid lifer :D

if you're nearish to London give me a shout www.thinkbike.co.uk

TM

Enjoy it. Take your time and do what feels right. Do your cbt and you can get a 125cc take your mod 1 this is all your turn in the road and slalom and general bike handling skills. and then mod 2 is about 30 mins road ride with a dvla tester. and you can ride anything but just get a feel for what's right for you. Bikes are a very social thing but also a very personal thing choose who you ride with carfully and Don't try keep up past your ability or the road conditions or limits. Take your time and enjoy it.

thats some good advise there to many try and keep up and than run out of ability just take you time no mater what some might say

Guest Mick.j

Just make sure the helmet you buy fits properly, try on as many as possible as they are all different - like our heads. DO NOT buy an expensive one if it does NOT FIT, even if you like it.

Treat everyone on the road as idiots. Be safe and enjoy the ride.

I've a fire blade. Start out small, too much speed / power is dangerous. Car drivers are dangerous. Don't slowly overtake one, promptly get past it as they have a habit of suddenly changing lanes. Be cautious at side roads and junctions for vehicles coming out on you. Drive lights on all the time to help them see you. White lines are slippy in wet cold weather. Beware of road camber and moving off on a wet manhole cover, very slippy. I ride roads I know, don't like unknown roads. Pick your own line not following the biker in front, incase they overshoot a bend. Phew, loads more. Ride defensively. Get a Haynes manual and learn how to maintain your bike, and some tools.

have a look on this site for your helmet http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/you don't need to pay £500 for a good helmet a 5 star good quality helmet can be had for £150 / £175 always try them on find a J&S or big motorcycle retailer with lots of range it must fit right. Spine boards i have always used them its a hang over from track riding never feel dressed with out one well worth investing in one.

i haven't had any but lots of people say the Aldi & other discount shopping stores do good gloves, boots, neck warmers, etc they also do base layers you can use cycling stuff as well, if i am doing along day out i put my padded bottom cycling leggings on mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bottom comfort. Its taken me years to find a really comfortable clothing setup that's just down to you experimenting see what you feel comfortable in.

as for bikes depends on your budget and what style you want and if you don't mind twirling spanners which i guess you don't being a mechanic, budget bikes have a look at

TRX 850 great bikes sports twin now going up in value £1500 / £1750

TDM 850 or 900 same engine as TRX but sit up version again not a lot of money

not really first bike ideally but a Honda Blackbird they are the dogs for £2000 you will get a great bike

Honda Varadero or Transalp both bullet proof

Kawasaki Versey 650 twin

Suzuki GSX650F

Suzuki SV

loads to pick from

I am just doing up my zx9r to sell after being ill for 9 years, having been out on the roads and seen the state of them I think I will call it time.

I passed my test when I was 17 on a honda 125, I then worked for a Honda dealer until moving into offshore work, I was one of the 1st mechanics to attend the course on the then new Honda Goldwing.

I enjoyed every minute of my riding, going through France, Belgium etc.

We still enjoy getting on the 250cc scooters when we go to Cyprus, there's nothing quite like it.

When I attended the Honda training in chiswick in 1976, we were told that after the USA made it compulsory for motorcycles to have lights on at all times, serious accidents/fatalities were down 65%, from that day I have never ridden a bike without lights on in the day.

Take your time, learn at your pace, lots of common sense, never stretch your abilities,if in the future you want to race save up and have a track day, don't get drawn into road racing.

At junctions always try and make eye contact with the car drivers, (not as daft as it sounds) you will see what I mean, on fast roads where you are waiting to turn right keep a constant check in your mirrors for idiots coming up behind you, you should be taught "the life saver" use it all the time, even when driving a car, lastly as others have said most car drivers are idiots when it comes to looking out for bikes and remember when a vehicle is approaching you and it has its indicator lights on it is only showing you one thing:- " THAT THE BULBS WORKING", never commit if unsure.

Good luck in you new venture, stay safe, happy riding.

Kind Regards

Gary.

I did a direct access when I was 22 and haven`t looked back since, I started out with a cbr600 then a Fireblade but over the last 8 yrs I`ve had mostly GSXR`s. I only wear a one piece these days and defo a back protector they take some getting used but as chrisjh says above once your are used to it you do feel naked without it. Try loads of helmets on as everyone is different I bought a shark once online and it just did not feel right I now only find Shoei comfortable.

Once you get the bug and some experience get on the track to find out just how fun these bikes are, I haven't ridden on the road for the last couple of years but this year I`ve decided to get back on the road for a few rides with my mates but I`ll be saving the spirited riding for the track. This is a little vid of me at Brands earlier this month on my K6 1000 (skip the 1st 4 mins of me sitting on the start line!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCQdtZyCjvw

Edited by huds78