extending a stock

10gaugewannabee

unlike everyone else in the planet i find 14" stocks way to short but the guns i own dont warrent a full new stock or re do.

so what i want to do is simpley unscrew the butt pad add in a section of timber and rescrew the butt pad back on. no glue and then when i want to i can remove it again. does not have to match the stock timber, in fact i like the idea of going to a different colout than the one thats there.

what timber to use, i have Ash, Beech and pre-embargo Mahogany as well as Oak

some one i was speaking to has mentioned the idea as that i have a large pile of this wood to make a whole new stock and fit it to myself and leave the old one alone.

any tips and ideas peeps

well at the moment its the standard drawf 14 1/2" for munchkins

i want it to be at least 15 1/2" or 16"

we have a rubber boot at the moment which is 3/4" thick and a piece of 1/2" play in there as a packer, which is ok but poor

what i want is some thing a little more solid.

i have seen butt stock packers from the local gun shop but cant see the point in buying them when i have a lorry load to better timber at home to use

as for looks i dont care at all, its a £100 AYA its not a holland and holland. it could be a brick and still look better

Your mahogany, will be the nearest density to the walnut, but maybe a tad heavy, ash would be my next choice from your list.

Just cut and screw on an oversize piece, then work it down to follow the correct angles, if you dont need a pad, finish the end of your extension by plugging your screw holes and either chequer or stipple it similar to a no.2 AYA, saves finding an oversize but plate.

Have done a couple of S04's this way, have an extension sat on the bench thats about 11/2" of nice wood, that was removed from an S0, depends if its deep enough though.

As above to reuse the old butt pad the extension would be parrell top and bottom.

Few things look as bad as an extension with the wrong angles.

As above to reuse the old butt pad the extension would be parrell top and bottom.

Few things look as bad as an extension with the wrong angles.

Here here! I was hoping someone would say it will look a bl***y mess!

yes it might look a mess but for a 100 quid gun does it matter and as long as i am holding it i am not going to see it either, the other option is a new stock for a 100 gun , its not worth it.

i am surprised but the amount of short stocks on the market, its very rare to find even new with long stocks

Why is the other option a new stock. You have 5 options I can think of.

1 new stock looks smart but expensive

2 walnut extension done properly looks good doesn't a hell of a lot to do and can be done diy

3 vulcanite extension does nit look bad but not as nice as 1 or 2 can be done diy

4 rubber pad or spacer and pad looks ok if done well.

5 half hearted extention using the old pad works but looks ugly.