Air Weapons and Licensing (Scotland) Bill moves to Stage 2

saddler

But that's why we aren't given the vote on specific issues Livefast, otherwise we may vote to reintroduce capital punishment, or life imprisonment meaning life, and if the general public was asked to vote on the question 'should we ban firearms?', we wouldn't be having this conversation.

We vote a party in to government based on what they say they will do for but that's only for appearances sake, and that's as much a role as we are allowed to play.

We are asked to consult and give input to certain mooted decisions, and then if it doesn't go the way the government wants it to, they do it anyway. Heaven forbid the general public is given the chance to dictate party policy, let alone reverse it.

Edited by Scully

This may have had a point if there were no airguns in circulation..,...there must be 1000's in Scotland alone. How do they expect to retrospectively get all those guns on license,

Where there is a will there is a way, How about you have to register you have an air rifle, you then have to decide whether to hand it in or get it licenced. You have a year to comply after that anyone with an unlicensed air rifle will in illegal possession of a prohibited item firearm, air rifle or whatever they call it.

Where there is a will there is a way, How about you have to register you have an air rifle, you then have to decide whether to hand it in or get it licenced. You have a year to comply after that anyone with an unlicensed air rifle will in illegal possession of a prohibited item firearm, air rifle or whatever they call it.

That's exactly what has been proposed as far as I'm aware, from when the issue of licensing air guns in Scotland was first mooted.

Only those who have a genuine interest in air gunning and are respecters of law will apply for licenses, others will merely shove them in a cupboard or under the stairs and literally tens of thousands will simply 'disappear' overnight.

The same happened when all those in possession of high magazine capacity shotguns were asked to register them as S1 following the shootings in Hungerford. Many simply disappeared as no records of ownership existed. Here we are almost 30 years down the line and politicians are proposing the same. The clever part is that no politicians can be blamed for non-compliance as the onus will be on the owner to apply; not to do so renders them a criminal. It is the owners choice.

Very scary times - as someone who has worked extensively in Scotland I feel for them but they have let the SNP gain such power without really knowing what was going on. From their attacks on gun ownership, angling and land ownership there will be no countrysports in Scotland in years to come. My fear now is the power they may exert over the rest of the UK if they become part of a coalition government.

"The Scottish Parliament agreed the general principles of the Air Weapons and Licensing (Scotland)........"

Why have we got a Scottish Parliament in the first place?

This is the death knell for shooting sports in Scotland and I hate to think of the long term economic destruction these "leaders" will cause.

Is anyone actually fighting this?i dread to think what will happen here if we end up with a weak labour government with the commie pc snp pulling their strings.

That's the problem. no one seems to be fighting this.

I heard that some people though that this bill did not go far enough and the airguns should be banned.

None of the other parties seem interest in stopping this either.

Even the police don't want it either.

Guest stevo

A Bill containing plans to license airguns in Scotland has failed to secure support from all parties in the Scottish Parliament because of a lack of evidence. After a key debate the Scottish Conservatives refused to endorse the Air Weapons and Licensing Bill (Scotland) and said they would oppose the Bill unless the Scottish Government changes its stance on airgun licensing.

BASC believes the proposals for airgun licensing in Scotland will do nothing to cut crime or improve public safety and will be a costly and unnecessary burden on police firearms licensing teams. Official government statistics show that airgun crime in Scotland has fallen by 75% between 2006 and 2013. At the same time delays are mounting in licensing shotguns and rifles while Police Scotland intends to slash the number of firearms licensing officers from 34 to 14. BASC is aware of delays of up to nine months in processing applications. BASC has also submitted a Freedom of Information request after airgun crime statistics for 2014 were not published on time.

Nicolle Hamilton of BASC Scotland said: “This is an important marker against the Bill laid down by the Conservative group in the Scottish Parliament. The proposals are, quite simply, not supported by evidence. BASC and other shooting organisations have pointed out the immense difficulties in trying to license the owners of an estimated half a million airguns in Scotland for little or no public benefit. Those intent on criminal misuse of airguns will not apply for a licence so the Bill will do nothing to cut crime. The Police need to focus their resources on the administration of the 75,000 shotgun and firearms certificates on issue in Scotland.

“We are now asking all MSPs to take note of the objections to the Bill and to carefully consider the evidence. Shooting is an important part of life in Scotland. It helps in the management of our countryside and generates £200 million for the economy every year. Country sports tourism is worth an annual £155 million to Scotland. For many people airguns are simply a tool of their trade and are used safely day-in, day-out.

“BASC will now focus its efforts on the next stage of the Bill as it is considered in detail in Committee and is open to amendment. We would like to see sensible legislation based on evidence, not on prejudice and ignorance of the facts.”

ENDS

That's the problem. no one seems to be fighting this.

I heard that some people though that this bill did not go far enough and the airguns should be banned.

None of the other parties seem interest in stopping this either.

Even the police don't want it either.

The tories have refused to support the motion and 90% of the public response was against, but if you have a majority government who are pursuing an ideological issue there is nobody who can fight against it.

That is why the house of lords is such an important thing, it helps to prevent abuse of privilege by government. It isn't perfect, but better than nothing and we in Scotland have nothing.

That is why the SNP are also against having a second house as it would stifle their ability to do such a thing as they are right now, yet bizarrely claim to be in support of democracy.

Dangerous party!

• 2 weeks later...

The tories have refused to support the motion and 90% of the public response was against, but if you have a majority government who are pursuing an ideological issue there is nobody who can fight against it.

That is why the house of lords is such an important thing, it helps to prevent abuse of privilege by government. It isn't perfect, but better than nothing and we in Scotland have nothing.

That is why the SNP are also against having a second house as it would stifle their ability to do such a thing as they are right now, yet bizarrely claim to be in support of democracy.

Dangerous party!

Again absolutely right - the House of Lords may be flawed but at least it provides checks and balances. Someone is 'window watching' and can say 'hang on a minute'.

The crazy thing about the SNP and Salmond is that they are NOT democratic. Salmond (and Swinney?) were in the '79 Group who broke away because they disagreed with the democratic will of their own party. A leopard may change it's winter coat for summer but never it's spots.

Sturgeon only understands urban, public sector Scotland. So unless you come from the Clyde and Forth areas she knows nothing about your life. Rural Scotland, the Highlands and the Islands will be forgotten except when it comes to unrealistic land reforms that will just screw things up without fixing anything (as if it were broken anyway).

The SNP have to be Dummkopf to mess with Scottish field sports but they are as they refuse the recognise the benefits and just see evil feudalism round every corner - which is why they have such a chip about being part of the UK. Of course oil alone - priced at an all time low - will ride to the rescue of Scotland's economy. ****!

...and then rent-a-mob was out again when poor old Jim Murphy was trying to canvass. It's like some crazy Soviet purge up there when the truth is trampled and mis-truths spun to whip people up. Scotland is and always has been over-represented in Westminster. Life in Scotland is not especially **** - if it's bad in Kirkcaldy then it's equally as bad in Gateshead or if you're poor twice as bad in Guildford.

I remember reading an autobiography in which an army officer had run to ground an old camel raiding chief in British Somaliland in the 40's. Both of them knackered from giving each other the run-around finally called it quits and sat down under a thorn bush to drink tea together. The Brit (well actually an Irishman from The South in that great tradition) asked the old chief what he wanted. The reply? - "to be well governed but to be left alone". Perhaps our modern politicians should take heed - run the country but stop ******* with our lives!!!!

Anyone else see Sturgeon heckled live on BBC News...6pm Friday 8th...getting callled a traitor and worse for giving the BBC an interview: by members of her own rent-a-mob...

SNP core supporters! Don't ya just love them!!

Edited by saddler

Anyone else see Sturgeon heckled live on BBC News...6pm Friday 8th...getting callled a traitor and worse for giving the BBC an interview: by members of her own rent-a-mob...

SNP core supporters! Don't ya just love them!!

Scotland does seem to have more than its fair share of bampots and the nationalist cause seems to have been some sort of magnet to draw them together, almost like a bright light to a swarm of nutcase moths.

The truly regrettable thing is that they are allowed to breed.

Scotland does seem to have more than its fair share of bampots and the nationalist cause seems to have been some sort of magnet to draw them together, almost like a bright light to a swarm of nutcase moths.

The truly regrettable thing is that they are allowed to breed.

It will be interesting to see how the good people of Scotland react to this nationalist fervour during the next parliament . I have a sneaky feeling that Cameron will isolate them in a political hinterland . With a ruling majority there is not much they can do ,except whinge and snipe . I think he will slap them on the head and tell them to behave . I know I would .

Harnser

It will be interesting to see how the good people of Scotland react to this nationalist fervour during the next parliament . I have a sneaky feeling that Cameron will isolate them in a political hinterland . With a ruling majority there is not much they can do ,except whinge and snipe . I think he will slap them on the head and tell them to behave . I know I would .

Harnser

I have a feeling that we will see a reaction the other way at the Scottish elections next year, the majority of Scotland are anti SNP and we may well see a much more cohesive push from the other party supporters next time.

This election result is a combination of many things and not as straight forward as many SNP followers would like to believe. Sturgeon knows that too which is why she has been clear in stating this is not a mandate for independence, if she had done that there would have been a different outcome.

Sadly we will see the airgun bill pushed through in the last year of this current Scottish parliament.

The good thing with a majority Tory government in Westminster is that they are very unlikely to devolve any more firearm powers to Holyrood and that is good.