guns taken

gerry

recently the was a altercation between me and my son who has plenty ov previous for violence, who vandalised my car (total right off) I dialled 999 they arrived I mentioned I had firearms on the premises instantly gave them the keys to the cabinet , I told them I struck out after seeing my car,I got arrested he was taken to hospital I pressed no charges ,he pressed no charges and now iam waiting to see if I can have my guns back ,no charges was brought against me unfortunate for me iam not a member ov bsac any advice would be nice thanks members iam gutted

Edited by gerry

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt very much BASC would take on a case where the person was not a current member at the time of the issue .

I still suggest joining / contacting them as they may well be able to recommend a good solicitor who deals in firearm issues , chances are though it would need funding by you .

Whilst I sympathise with the situation Gerry finds himself in, if he's not a member, why should joining basc after the incident happened, allow him to have access to all the expertise they provide, which will cost a significant amount of money.

It's a bit like taking out car insurance after you have the accident.

Unless the original post is very poorly worded, it appears that the OP's car has been vandalised and he has assaulted the vandal - who happens to be his son.

If that is the case, I sincerely hope that his chances of retaining his cert are between slim and zero, with zero being the preference.

Unless the original post is very poorly worded, it appears that the OP's car has been vandalised and he has assaulted the vandal - who happens to be his son.

If that is the case, I sincerely hope that his chances of retaining his cert are between slim and zero, with zero being the preference.

So ur saying because someones car was vandalised and they may have struck out (not exactly clear how bad) they should not have guns?

If i catch anyone vandllising my motor (even thou its a heap) they would not do it again anyway. How do u know it wasnae self defence?

Slightly different if the son lives with them but even still thats the purpose of a cabinet to keep them secure

On the tiny ammount of info given its a bit early for the PW judge/jury and executioner to be making judgements already

Ps OP Wot have u done for insurance al these years u have been shooting previously?

Think u do need some proper legal advice preferably someone with firearms law exp, not all will have

I have to agree :no: , sorry. The fact that 999 was called sends alarm bells ringing. "I struck out, I got arrested he was taken to hospital". Two main points on this one, you struck out and he was taken to hospital. By this statement some one obviously thought that his injuries need A&E attention and documentation. I am afraid that it has nothing to do with what has been done prior to you striking out, but more to the fact that you being an FAC holder having acted in a violent manner towards a member of your family, has given the Police good reason to ascertain that you were in the wrong and (middle point of your statement) were worthy of an arrest. In my opinion, don't bother with joining BASC as they will have nothing to do with this situation, if it is as simplistic as you say. Your guns/rifles have been removed to prevent this situation from escalating and no one in there right mind could possibly see there being any other outcome.

Edited by Blunderbust

The police would be concerned by the OPs loss of temper which led to the violence which then put his son in hospital. It matters not what the provocation was.

What would worry the police in the future would be a further loss of self control and further violence , perhaps with a firearm. The resultant publicity would not look good on the licensing team would it ? I fear it's going to be nigh on impossible to get your guns back , even more so if your son still lives with you

If he actually caught his son vandalising his car and tried to stop him and a scuffle broke out then there may be a slim chance he gets them back,but if his car was vandalised by his son,and he attacked him when he found out later then i am sorry to say they won't be coming back.

There is a difference to reacting to something happening and to a pre meditated assault.

God forbid some of the people on here fell victim to crime or vexatious allegations. Tunnel vision is a disease that plagues the world. Holier than thou types etc. Take a step back and look at everything from ALL perspectives before condemning someone or something. Violence isn't the answer, but removing what is quite possibly a persons only means of enjoyment from their life doesn't help matters.

Seems to me an uphill struggle,you have to justify your own actions and your "association" : link,or relation to someone with "previous"for violence does not make an easy case to argue.I wish you good look just the same,circumstance/provocation can make even the most "reasonable" of men to actions that are,in hindsight,hard to justify.

Basc wouldn't be of any real help in this case they would just advise and not put any pressure on for the return of guns. They can only help when something is unjust. In this case you have to see how things go but generally if you have a completely clean record and can convince the feo that it was a one off then there is a slim chance but otherwise you might need to stay out of trouble for a few years and apply again

Edited by al4x

So ur saying because someones car was vandalised and they may have struck out (not exactly clear how bad) they should not have guns?

If i catch anyone vandllising my motor (even thou its a heap) they would not do it again anyway. How do u know it wasnae self defence?

It is that sort of garbage comment that does no-one any favours. Go and tell your FEO your views and see how long you keep a licence.

My opinion is based on the published facts. Perhaps you should read before making a fool of yourself.

This is interesting, a myriad of opinion.

But, it appears someone has assaulted someone severely enough to land them in hospital, and get themselves arrested, and is asking why he's had his guns took off him.

Hmmm

Edited by kyska

This is interesting, a myriad of opinion.

But, it appears someone has assaulted someone severely enough to land them in hospital, and get themselves arrested, and is asking why he's had his guns took off him.

Hmmm

They werent taken, he surrendered them, in the OP it says he immediately gave the cab key to the police on arrival.

Standard procedure in domestic violence jobs, if there are guns in the house they get taken with certs pending investigation.

I do feel for the OP , my guns were treated to a holiday by the police too for a while , though not under the same circumstances. Took a month to get mine back.

Edited by ozzy518

I know boys who have done time inside (1 was a serious assault) and have FAC's so nothing is writen in stone, just makes it harder.

There is a tiny ammount of detail yet everyone is condemning the fella, just like everyone else i have no idea wot happened, so i try not to pass judgement, none of my business anyway.

possibly the son was hospitalised as he put his fist throu the car window when vandalising it? Possibly self defence? U still are allowed to defend urself when u have a gun licence

Therer is so many subtle diffeences in wot actually happened that could have a massive difference on wether he keeps his guns or not, just so glad most of u are not FEO's

Not entirely disagreeing he may lose his guns depending on the actual facts but it is the glee some of u seem to take from it is hard to understand

It isn't glee. The OP posts a few facts. Based on what he said - he won't get his guns back, unless the moon is made of green cheese.

You then get others saying we are judging without the full facts and start to invent their own "facts".

If there are other facts, the OP should have given them before asking for opinions.

God forbid some of the people on here fell victim to crime or vexatious allegations. Tunnel vision is a disease that plagues the world. Holier than thou types etc. Take a step back and look at everything from ALL perspectives before condemning someone or something. Violence isn't the answer, but removing what is quite possibly a persons only means of enjoyment from their life doesn't help matters.

I have been the victim of a vexatious complaint from two police officers causing my rifles and shotguns to be removed for 4 months,i got them back and they got punished,so hardly a holier than thou type,but in my case i was not violent aggressive and out of control as they stated and could prove it,in the op's case he admits putting his son in hospital,the only thing that is not clear is if he struck him as the vandalism was being done to his vehicle or after.

There are a lot on here that have experience of the process of having weapons removed,perhaps you should leave it to them to explain what might happen before casting aspersions on their posts.