Reloading .223 bullets

Hello gentlemen just some advice please. I am just starting to reload .223 ammunition so have read up on the subject and watched some video footage and have written all the measurements for that particular round. All is going to plan and I am at the stage of seating the bullet and getting to the OAL but what is concerning is that I can feel the bottom of the bullet pushing into the powder charge and it give me the willies. Any input would be grateful.

Case length 1.750"

OAL 2.260"

Sierra matchking 77 gr bullet head

n140 powder at 23.8 grains

The bullet heads and powder and weights were sent too me from the previous owner who said that was the best combination he used with the gun. It has a 1:8 twist. Darran.

Yes Albert looking at the figures it looks right but as I reach the OAL it pushes into the powder. Would it be that this particular bullet is a long bullet and so goes into the case deeper to reach the correct OAL. What I am asking is it ok to feel the bullet head pushing into the powder. As I have said I am new to this and as yet not got the FEEL. Thanks. Darran.

I have just weighed 23.8g of n140 and put in a full length sized 223 case and the measurement from the top of th powder to the to of the case is 0.410" or 10.41mm. You may have put the wrong amount of powder in or seated the head to deep. You do feel resistance when seating the head against the neck.

Larro, if you put up your location, then if any reloaders are in your area then you may be able to have a sitdown with them and load a few rounds, just to confirm all is as it should be.

Also, don't get too hung up on fast twist barrels always needing heavy bullets. My Steyr Mannlicher 223 has a 1:9 twist, but absolutely loves 52 and 53 grain Hornady bullets.

I have just weighed 23.8g of n140 and put in a full length sized 223 case and the measurement from the top of th powder to the to of the case is 0.410" or 10.41mm. You may have put the wrong amount of powder in or seated the head to deep. You do feel resistance when seating the head against the neck.

An uncompressed charge would give an OAL of 2 334"

Darren if your stuck, your more than welcome to bring your stuff to mine and we can have a look. Or if your shooting at Corwen, one of the lads will point you in the right direction. If your not sure don't load any more to be on the safe side.

O/T, but you up at Wern Ddu tomorrow ?

I can't make either range day tomorrow (we have to go collect new car).

Larro, if you want someone to look over the loads, and load some with you then I'll be happy to help out - though I wouldn't describe myself as an expert in any way. I've also got various match bullets that you can have a few of, if you want to try out some different ones. I've got Hornady Match in 53gr HP and 68gr BTHP, and Amax in 52gr. Between Denbigh and Ruthin. (We probably know each other by sight !)

but what is concerning is that I can feel the bottom of the bullet pushing into the powder charge and it give me the willies. Any input would be grateful.

Although I am using a different tip and powder combo >> I use a Sierra 55grn Gameking bthp #1390 with H4895 powder the powder reaches up to about 2 mm from the top of the case neck this means that when the tip is seated to get the oal about 20 thou off the lands the charge is definitely compressed. This is no problem and makes sure that there is no difference in the powder position or compression within the case from round to round. I have not stated the powder quantity because this is a very hot load that I have developed for my rifle and over the chrono it is doing pretty much 3400 which is only a couple of hundred behind a 22-250. The loading is so effective that it has never failed to take out a target no matter where the target is hit. But it is horses for courses.

I have loaded 75gr Hornady A max for target shooting using Varget which is a similar burn rate to N140. Using Winchester brass my loads were compressed even at lower than book maximum loads. You may find as Fister notes that a drop tube will help the powder grains settle better. I find that if you tip the powder slowly and allow it to swirl in the funnel you will get the powder to pack better. If its tipped in quickly it will often fill the case higher up. If you compare factory ammo that invariably seems too be compressed or have minimal powder gap.

Thank you Rem223 for your input. I did carry on and reload about a hundred with charge weight starting on the low side and work them up to comfortable weights of powder. I did make it to the clubs range today and shot about sixty six of the hand loads and I was pleasantly surprised that I reloaded something that gave good results, or results that I am happy with, so the reloading can now carry on. It is a good feeling when something you do works for once. Cheers for the input some people have given to this thread. Darran.

It was loading 69gr SMK over V140 in .223 that gave me my first compressed loads too. I will admit that the first time I lowered the press and heard that noise it was an unusual experience.

Sounds to me that you are doing fine. I may well get a drop tube myself, I had forgotten about those.

Although I am using a different tip and powder combo >> I use a Sierra 55grn Gameking bthp #1390 with H4895 powder the powder reaches up to about 2 mm from the top of the case neck this means that when the tip is seated to get the oal about 20 thou off the lands the charge is definitely compressed. This is no problem and makes sure that there is no difference in the powder position or compression within the case from round to round. I have not stated the powder quantity because this is a very hot load that I have developed for my rifle and over the chrono it is doing pretty much 3400 which is only a couple of hundred behind a 22-250. The loading is so effective that it has never failed to take out a target no matter where the target is hit. But it is horses for courses.

Looks like we could have the same load :good:

It was loading 69gr SMK over V140 in .223 that gave me my first compressed loads too. I will admit that the first time I lowered the press and heard that noise it was an unusual experience.

Sounds to me that you are doing fine. I may well get a drop tube myself, I had forgotten about those.

Yes it was that sound and feeling that made me start this thread. I can actually admit to turning my head away when pulling that press arm down. :yes: