HMR problem

trickhannah

It's an HMR. Loads on here about them. Some are consistently tack drivers, some are scatterguns and some seem to develop problems as they go along.

As it's a new rifle shoot it in first and don't expect too much from it yet.

Are you zeroing it at 50 yards ? if so move it out to 100 as the your groups your getting could just be opening up at longer ranges . you need to zero at 100 yards not 50 .

Wouldn't change his grouping tho ???

Zero at 35 yards will be bang on at 100 .

Not bring harsh but is it the gun? I see lots of people expecting to much from the gun but not themselves

yeh according to ballistic charts as i bet the velocity it says on the box is not the same as its coming out your muzzle , i know i have zerod at 35 and gone to 100 and results have been shocking , at 35-50 yards the worst rounds look good but when at 100 - 120 yards they open up .

Edited by Devonhunter

yeh according to ballistic charts , have you actually zerod at 35 yards and then checked at 100 , i know i have zerod at 35 and gone to 100 and results have been shocking , at 35-50 yards the worst rounds look good but when at 100 - 120 yards they open up , also depends on the velocity its doing cause i bet you its not doing what its says on the box .

I check mine at 35 yards up the farm and it's bang on at 100 yards with my cz455.

I can managed clover leafs at 100 but not all the time as wind, tiredness , breathing ( I'm asthmatic ) all plays it's part.

I used to shoot ft comps so my back ground helps.

I feel most read topics on hmr managing 1/2" groups at 100 yards and wonder why they can't .

The rifle cover leafs at 50yrds but the groups get much bigger when you fire over that distance is this correct?

If it is we will assume a 1/4" group at 50 yards at 100 yards that should be 1/2" capable rifle.

It would be a very rare rifle that knows it's shooting at a 100 yards target and therefore makes the desision not to shoot well, but then says I like 50 yards I'll produce a perfect group.

I would do a few thing before blaming the rifle

Get a known good shot to shoot it at 50 and 100 yards see what group they get, or use a sledge.

Check what area the scope recticule covers at 100 yards my old S&B covers a 1/2" at 100yards I therefore know I will struggle to achieve better than 3/4 at 100 yards.

W

I check mine at 35 yards up the farm and it's bang on at 100 yards with my cz455.

I can managed clover leafs at 100 but not all the time as wind, tiredness , breathing ( I'm asthmatic ) all plays it's part.

I used to shoot ft comps so my back ground helps.

I feel most read topics on hmr managing 1/2" groups at 100 yards and wonder why they can't .

This does seem to be a common issue and is really prevalent on the airgun circuit with people quoting one hole groups at 40 yards as if its the norm for every shooter in every condition. I know it can be done but it does make inexperienced shooters look to the gun rather than themselves if they are not getting the same

The best I can do with my HMR is about an inch and a half at 100 off my sticks, however I know the rifle can do 1/3" at 100 yards as I have benched it on a tunnel range. I generally on a new gun if I can bench the rifle so I can be sure what it can do without me screwing it up then have a go in the field :lol: .

Its just a pity there arnt more dedicated pay and shoot tunnel ranges like the fantastic Calton Moor range. I know on my permission its a 10 minute walk minimum to a good zeroing point so its off the stick or pod for me.

Edited by Zetter

This does seem to be a common issue and is really prevalent on the airgun circuit with people quoting one hole groups at 40 yards as if its the norm for every shooter in every condition. I know it can be done but it does make inexperienced shooters look to the gun rather than themselves if they are not getting the same

The best I can do with my HMR is about an inch and a half at 100 off my sticks, however I know the rifle can do 1/3" at 100 yards as I have benched it on a tunnel range. I generally on a new gun if I can bench the rifle so I can be sure what it can do without me screwing it up then have a go in the field :lol: .

Its just a pity there arnt more dedicated pay and shoot tunnel ranges like the fantastic Calton Moor range. I know on my permission its a 10 minute walk minimum to a good zeroing point so its off the stick or pod for me.

Some days I struggle to hit the field lol :(

Just out of curiosity...

what x mag. is your scope set at when your trying to zero?

Iv a 6-24x50 on my HMR. The 'natural' thing to want to do is wind upto 24x and think youl pop round after round through the same hole... unless your in a clamp/sledge, that aint happening!

The higher the mag, the more your movements are exaggerated in the scope. In theory the 'wobble' is the exact same at 24x as say 9x and you should still be able to hit the target, and group just fine... but in the field i find you see more movement, try harder to steady it, you end up getting flustered which knocks your steadiness meaning you miss by more...