Custom Pre War Rabbit Rifle.

Elk hunter

15 years ago I bought a Rimfire from Western Game Fair when all the dealers took all there stock giving us all plenty to choose from. Anyways I found a beautiful Wather Sportmodell V in a heavy walnut stock, with fine checkering, inlay and horn forend. After research through the walther forums and contact with Walther the rifle was an Nazi SS Training rifle and made 1939.

It was heavily sporterised after the war by a Gentleman who had it to look like his large game rifle, as they were a very well built and accurate. The rifle was originally a single shot but was converted to a magazine fed which is extremely rare, the workmanship is amazing and also a small fortune was spent on it. I bought for a song but came with a couple of issues, no magazine and no scope.

I've managed to adapt a BSA Sportman 5 magazine over the years, which works well. The gun is very accurate and the bolt is silky smooth. But the scope, now I've been hunting for year to find the correct one. The rifle has peep mounts and originally had an Ajax x2.5 powered scope with a diameter of 26.5mm with elevation only.

A couple of weeks back I tracked one down and bit the bullet. It arrived last week and could not wait to get it on and try. The rifle is (almost) back to how it was when customised 70 odd years ago and with the mulit shot convertion it may be the only one, as ive been unable to fine another. Plus being able to use open sights and telescopic on the same gun is a bit of a novelty but fun.

4c8c9f0ce6bf3af9d4720ff4dd1b9f50.jpg

5f4a1bc9d96d0e7f8d8090457bc25fff.jpg

After a right good plinking section yesterday afternoon, using both sights on paper and rocks, I need to take it into the field. Early evening walk around the farm was needed. Around 6pm saw a rabbit near the lakes and crept in. Kneeling shot at 80 yards, rolling the bunny over using the scope. Over the moon and looking forward to summer evening walks this year. For a rifle the same age as my father is in far better condition.

Andrew

9fcd303ae6887f8ff4902aa41cf4e67a.jpg

Edited by Elk hunter