Barrel cleaning help required.

JDog

The last time I went to bed having not cleaned my gun after a day's shooting was forty years ago. I was shooting near Craigellachie in Banffshire and the 'keepers thought it would be amusing to get the young man from England drunk on the local whiskey. They succeeded.

Last Friday after an afternoon in the Cotswolds I turned up to stay with a friend when I realised that I had left my cleaning kit behind. As I was late and dinner was almost ready I had no time to seek out kit from elsewhere. The first thing I did when I got back to Lincolnshire yesterday afternoon was to clean my gun. However the normally pristine barrels were marked inside much to my annoyance.

Needless to say I am slightly fuming about this. Does anyone have a magic remedy to get rid if the staining without recourse to a gunsmith?

Acetone on a patch and a good scrub with a bronze brush ... assuming it's from the plas wad ... or a a short soak with one of the rifle bore solvents and a bronze brush, but clean the brush well or the solvent will eat it too!

You can try wrapping some fine 0000 grade steel wool around your bronze brush. Spray both barrels with your chosen cleaner, leave for half an hour. Stick 1/2 of a 2 piece cleaning rod (aluminium preferred) in the chuck of an electric drill and with an up and down motion (now c,mon keep a straight face) scrub barrels. Turn barrels around and repeat from opposite end. Use clean kitchen towel screwed up and repeatedly push through until barrels are clean. Repeat as required. The 0000 grade steel wool is handy to have to rub the stock before applying stock oil, too. Do not overdo the up and down motion, you could end up at Specsavers !

Full length.

Hmm. For really stubborn stuff I pre-soak the barrels with solvent, fit a chamber brush on my cleaning rod and give it some elbow grease. The chamber brush has more bristle density than a normal bronze version and is obviously over-size compared to the bore. I hope you find something that works.

JDog,

I had a similar problem after not being able ( for reasons beyond my control) to clean the gun immediately, or at least at the end of the day as is my usual habit.

I now keep a can of Beretta bore cleaner handy should this occur again. A good spray and scrub with a bronze brush should clean all fouling quite well.

My guns are predominantly older side by sides i.e not chrome lined, therefore take a bit more looking after but I have found this spray very good.

I trust and hope that the marks in your barrels are just that and not anything worse, although if not left for very long should only be leading or plastic fouling ( if indeed you use plastics wads!).

Hope this helps, but I do sympathise, as it sounds as though you have been most fastidious and prompt in cleaning and obviously take pride like most of us do in our guns.

If it is one of the Purdeys, you will of course always have the other one of the pair to use !!!

Very best of luck and hope that the barrels are returned to their former glory.