Crayfish

bigadam

I found overnight trapping the best,

The cat food pouch with holes in has worked well for me, if you put food in it can eat such as fish heads they will eat it in the trap and will have more if a black line in the gut,

I put them in a gorilla bucket without only about half an inch of water in the bottom to keep them moist, if you fill the bucket the water becomes de oxygenated very quickly and they will die and you will have a stink of rotting crayfish, a smell you will never forget.

I leave them in the bucket somewhere cool to purge their gut, only for a day and I fill the bucket up with the hose a few times throughout the day and add a handful of salt, they don't like this and empty their stomachs, leave them in the salty water for five minutes only and tip the water out and rinse well then leave the half inch of water in the bottom,you will find quite a bit of crud in the bottom.

Then it's a large pot of salted water on s good rolling boil and chuck them in, bring it back to rolling boil and cook for about eight minutes tip the water away and I chill them quickly with water.

Peel them and enjoy, with a glass of white

• 3 weeks later...

Trust me, you don't want them. They destroy everything in their path, and are pushing our native white claw crayfish to the brink of extinction. If ever there was vermin, these this would be it.

Ok, they may be good to eat and lead to big fish of a year class big enough to eat them, but they breed like a plague and eat every living thing if they can, like fish spawn, inverts, etc; they damage banks and ruin fishing.

Any crays in the northwest? I'm dying to have a go.

Edited by Penelope

Trust me, you don't want them. They destroy everything in their path, and are pushing our native white claw crayfish to the brink of extinction. If ever there was vermin, these this would be it.

Ok, they may be good to eat and lead to big fish of a year class big enough to eat them, but they breed like a plague and eat every living thing if they can, like fish spawn, inverts, etc; they damage banks and ruin fishing.

I understand the damage they do but it doesn't stop me wanting to have a go at them for the table. I don't think they are this far up north are they?

I understand the damage they do but it doesn't stop me wanting to have a go at them for the table. I don't think they are this far up north are they?

Loads in the north west mate,

I get them from the river bollin near Manchester airport, or the river goyt in Stockport..

Drop me a pm and I'll tell you more if you wish..

One particular loch up here in real trouble with them.... Messed up the fishing big time. Kayaked out with a trap couple of summers back thinking I might get half a dozen when I went back the next day the trap was absolutley crammed with about sixty of the things. Used a whole mackerel as bait.