any mechanics on here .

neillfrbs

renault traffic 07 2000 dci ,was driving on the motorway last night ,and all of a suden power went. pulled over on to hard shoulder ,van was still running ,so pulled off but severe lack of power so had to pull off next junction .managed to get it home but it would not rev over 2500 ,max speed about 45 mph ,there was no smoke or noise ,was wondering if it is the turbo. any thoughts people. will have to get it booked in the garage. if it is the turbo anybody no how much i would be looking at . cheers neill .

common for the egr to stick open and chuck engine oil in the turbo wrecking it.i had a laguna do it and there are pages and pages of it on the renault owners club website.i like you found out the hard way.second hand turbo was 350 quid ,plus new oil pipes n gaskets 50 quid .put it on ebay spares/repair and get anything not renault/peugeot.the orignal turbos were garrett turbos but now theyre made in a shed in france by a one armed man out of beer cans.the owners club website has many horror tales ,if u are lucky and its just the egr valve that was 80 quid but you can bypass it and have the chip reprogrammed so it doesnt fault mode on you looking for the egr that isnt there.atb

As has been said, I would think it may have gone into "Limp mode". Has an engine management light come on?

Compo90's comment is a fair one. I've had a few people over the years have exactly that. They were relieved, if a little embarrassed.

I'd be looking to get a decent diagnostic operator to plug it in and see if the ECU has stored any fault codes.

It does sound like the EGR stuck closed,very common on a 1.9dci .

You would know if the turbo went ,vast amounts of smoke and occasionally ,if the turbo bearing goes badly enough ,it sucks all the oil out the sump into the turbo,over revving and usually destroying the engine (you cant switch it off!)

Should have put the management light on though.

However ,after 2007 they changed the way the induction works on these engines (at least on lagunas they did) rectifying most of the turbo issues.

Try not to drive it too far till you get it checked out.

Good luck.

renault traffic 07 2000 dci ,was driving on the motorway last night ,and all of a suden power went. pulled over on to hard shoulder ,van was still running ,so pulled off but severe lack of power so had to pull off next junction .managed to get it home but it would not rev over 2500 ,max speed about 45 mph ,there was no smoke or noise ,was wondering if it is the turbo. any thoughts people. will have to get it booked in the garage. if it is the turbo anybody no how much i would be looking at . cheers neill .

It may not be the turbo,same thing happened with the wife's new focus tdi,when Ford assist took it back to the garage it was the fuel filter thing or something along those lines.Was replaced free of charge although a wearable part it went within 12mths and I wasn't a happy bunny as they are supposed to be changed on the 3rd service and it's only has one.Initially they wanted £170 but I stuck too my guns and started to slag the car off in the middle of a busy showroom,I think they fixed it for free to shut me up and get me out.It is a cracking car though other than that one issue,but a bit of a vocal review in the middle of a showroom did the trick.

Edited by Davyo

Might even be the particle filter. Especially if the engine has not been worked hard on occasions. Some are recoverable, some not. Otherwise as suggested above. It appears to be a 'simple to fix' problem but might be expensive, all the same.

Edited by oliver90owner