HW 97 scope

German pointer

• 2 months later...

Have you tried turning the mounts around , or changing front to back if they are two piece ?

9 times out of ten its the mounts / scope being mounted incorrectly rather than a problem with anything else.

No have not switched the mounts they are a cheap set and the rear one has an arrestor pin

Edited by German pointer

I would still try turning the mounts so the retaining bolts are on the opposite side to where they are now , also check that you have not knocked the arrestor pin through to far and it is holding the mount up slightly .

Still no joy then buy a sportsmatch one piece mount !

I would still try turning the mounts so the retaining bolts are on the opposite side to where they are now , also check that you have not knocked the arrestor pin through to far and it is holding the mount up slightly .

Still no joy then buy a sportsmatch one piece mount !

I'll try turning them but don't think the pin is in wrong but I will check it. If the pin was down too far would that not have the opposite effect to my problem like a 20 MOA rail would give you? as in extra elevation

Not sure , my thinking would be that if the back mount was not down as far as it should be it would cant the scope down on the front , which would mean you could run out of elevation , as I understand it that is the issue you have ?

Edited by fenboy

Not sure , my thinking would be that if the back mount was not down as far as it should be it would cant the scope down on the front , which would mean you could run out of elevation , as I understand it that is the issue you have ?

I thought the opposite that if the rear of the scope was higher as a raised MOA rail would give you would have more elevation to dial for further range. Anyhow I'll turn the rimgs now and will rezero tomorrow and let you know how I get on

I thought the opposite that if the rear of the scope was higher as a raised MOA rail would give you would have more elevation to dial for further range. Anyhow I'll turn the rimgs now and will rezero tomorrow and let you know how I get on

Correct. Either buy a set of adjustable mounts or alternatively raise the rear of the scope with shims made from film negative or thin plastic from a drinks bottle.

I took the docter scope off and put it on my 10/22 and bought a Airmax EV 4-12*40 for the HW97. I'm awaiting adjustable sports match mounts to arrive in the post but have fitted scope with cheap mounts I had until the new ones arrive. so far so good while now zeroed it is not maxed out but but don't think I have much elevation left until I fit the adjustable ones. Thanks for the help