pigeon numbers in cambridgeshire

vinny123

Sugar beet acreage has been cut, potatoes did not make a lot last season, and cereals are a staple crop, so maybe reason for more peas, Pigeons not been a problem on my peas either, they are growing at a fair rate too.

On another note seen several wild ducklings this week.

Plenty over the rape next to the game shoot but the keeper has first dibs on that. Although i can shoot it if i want but have refrained as i dont want to spoil his sport. Ive been trying to decoy them onto the beans next door but its just the odd bird. The little village i live in has plenty around the houses though...

Theres a ten acre field of some kind of fruit bush thats next to the rape, devided by a 20 meter deep wood and runs the length of the field the woodies sit in there after thete rape feed so if it stops raining i might have a crack in the fruit as the do feed on something between the fruit bushes. Only thing one shot and 300 woodies will take off. Not sure if they will come back, although if i clap them out the come back in 2 or 3's after a while

Edited by Jay_Russell

hopefully things will pick up but i have only a small permission so can't ride about for hours looking for more birds. on the upside only used 7 cartridges in 3 outings. on the downside i have started shooting my decoys for some sport lol

Guest Wilksy

14 yesterday over short rape and I missed about as many but that was all I saw, just breasted them and a couple had hawthorn leaves in the crop!

Guest Wilksy

14 yesterday over short rape and I missed about as many but that was all I saw, just breasted them and a couple had hawthorn leaves in the crop!

On the areas I shoot around Cambridgeshire I would say the numbers are up on the last few years , good numbers on the patchy rape now and before that very good numbers on spring drilling. Shot 145 yesterday after work and 82 this afternoon . From what I've seen they are not feeding in any numbers on peas yet.

There were loads on a field of sparse rape near me today as the rain subsided then when I came back to set up a couple of hours later they were pouring out of the hedges as I walked up the field to set up, then nothing for ages :rolleyes: Eventually a few odd ones came in and I was very lucky to nail virtually everything I shot at and came away with 13. The consolation was some very rewarding shots despite the small bag so can't complain :) I think the hypaflaps put them off for a start as it did seem to pick up from completely dead once I took them in.

On the areas I shoot around Cambridgeshire I would say the numbers are up on the last few years , good numbers on the patchy rape now and before that very good numbers on spring drilling. Shot 145 yesterday after work and 82 this afternoon . From what I've seen they are not feeding in any numbers on peas yet.

It would have been nice to read some reports on these outings.

The pigeons yesterday were on a new permission , believe it or not the farmer had been trying to find someone for weeks to shoot them and because it was rape couldn't get anyone to go . There were two gas guns on the field which the pigeons were taking no notice of, I would think there was maybe two acres of badly eaten off rape. Shot from two until just after five when the birds stopped coming in and started flighting to another rape field in the distance. Today's birds I've been chasing about on a massive block of rape ,Im guessing maybe a thousand plus acres for the last couple of months with varying success . Now the rapes growing it's making the birds concentrate on the poorer areas. It's near home so I check most afternoons to see what's happening . I think I've shot 400 plus off this block of rape in that time.