Real World Toyota Hilux Experiences

Dicker

Hi All,

After many years of owning and running Defenders and Discoveries, my needs have changed and a Pickup is a really more appropriate for my needs. I am also pretty keen to reduce some of my maintenance bills, particularly the ones caused by unexpected issues.

After a fair amount of driving around in friends Hiluxes and DMAX's (on and off road), I have pretty much chosen a new Hilux Twin Invincible Cab 3.0 Manual.

I have read the other threads on this forum on pickups which are very useful, but would really appreciate any PW members experiences of the Hilux before I "press the button" and put a deposit down. In particular I am interested in reliability problems.

Thanks

Dicker

Its a Toyota Dicker, they are great. I admit I have not yet got to you model of choice but eventually will once my mk 5 starts giving me problems. I have had it for 10 years, now at 98,000 and other than servicing, brakes, rear exhaust unit and tyres it has never let me down. Good choice, go get it :good: .

My fowling partner has a 14 plate in your model choice, never had any issues. it's now got 30,000 on the clock.

We went to orkney in it last year, 4 blokes and all the shooting gear. It was a comfatable ride up there and back. We even picked up 3 lab pups from Doncaster on the way back. Put them in a crate between us in the back.

In my opinion a grate truck and would buy one in a heart beat if I had the cash laying about.

Just to add his has leather and nav. It makes the truck.

Edited by SEshooter

Waxy the chassis on it, I've been around a huge amount of accident damaged HiLuxes where we had the body etc off them and I'd make sure the chassis is oiled or waxed, they do get surface corrosion on them.

I would like a hi lux but I need to get shot of my g wages first, I'd be tempted to put arb air lockers on it as the only modification.

Guys, thanks for the responses. Pretty much what I thought....

I have a friend who has an 8 yr old hilux with 140k on the clock from new. I use it now and again when feeding the pheasants on our shoot and it drives nicely for its age, and he self services, with oil changes every 8k. He reports that nothing other than normal servicing has ever been needed!

What a different story to my Discovery......!

I had a 1993 HiLux. Kept it for 9 years and took it up to 162,000 miles. Nothing serious ever went wrong with it, just needed the usual service parts. The only bit that rusted badly was the tailgate. The bracket that held the spare wheel underneath rusted solid and I had to hacksaw it off when I had a puncture and then just kept the spare in the back. I sold it as I needed a 4 seater occasionally and bought a Disco, wished I'd kept the HiLux!

A tool that goes anywhere and does anything. A local shoot has always used hilux's and some of their vehicles look like that thing on top gear they abuse them something rotten and they are usually ploughing through a load of mudd up to the axles. Onetime a vehicle went to a Toyota dealership and they were asked to take it around the back as it was in such a bad state covered in mud and bits hanging off of it. I would have thought that they would like to have it on display like the top gear one to show how much stick that they can put up with. I can't rate them highly enough

post-18375-0-69187000-1431116531_thumb.jpg

This is my new hilux I have it now for around a month and I am really impressed with it and it is very comfortable and hasn't got stuck yet up the farm and that's with road bias tyres on.

Like Alix says the fuel isn't great but for me it's still better than my last transit I had

Toyota is 1 of the best ones on the road,I have a RAV4 at the min and getting 43 to the gallon round the doors,show me a 4x4 that does that but when I change it I might be opting for the hilux with out a doubt.

Not really in the same league to be fair. My missus has a Rav and I would not dream of taking it where I go in my Disco 4. Btw the Disco has never missed a beat. Sorry to disappoint the LR bashers!

Toyota is 1 of the best ones on the road,I have a RAV4 at the min and getting 43 to the gallon round the doors,show me a 4x4 that does that but when I change it I might be opting for the hilux with out a doubt.

The new Xtrail is supposed to 53mpg, I don't own one but did look at them before I bought my Hilux