young new pigeon shooters (the struggle)

jimmyjoebilly

HI all i have been shooting clays on and off for about 3 years now and recently have left the forces i am 20 years of age and have been looking for some pigeon shooting for about a good year have all of the decoys cam nets and hide gear but cant really find any ground to shoot on when i say find i live in worcestershire so there is quite a few farms around but i would feel rude to pull my car up onto the drive and ask the farmer if they needed any shooting doing this is due to being at the clay grounds and getting the vibe of being not trusted in a way because we are a bit younger than the majority of older blokes (not being rude) what would be the best way of gaining permission by knocking the door and what would i need to hand ie. insurance, SGC and would it be worth mentioning that i am ex forces so my weapon safety has been well practised

cheers jimmy :)

Gaining permission is indeed one of the hardest things to do. The best advise I could give you would be to have some cards made up ready for when you go door knocking. Do a lot of research, by this I meen go watch the fields and when you see them being attacked, go knock on the farmers door offering to help them control the pests feeding on their crop. If they don't want anyone at that time offer to leave them your calling card and always go smartly dressed, never in camo.

Be prepared for a lot of knock backs as you will get them. Remember, he who dares wins, best of luck fella

Go and knock on doors. It may be better to do it when you see either corvids or pigeons feeding heavily on a field. Don't wear cammo and don't take your gun as that could be seen as too presumptive. Be polite if the answer is 'No' then thank the farmer for his time and hand him a card with your number on it if you have had some made up. He may call you another time.

I found it difficult to follow some aspects of your post as there were no full stops. However if one of the points you were trying to make was that you were advised by others that you would not get any consents because of your age then go out and prove them wrong - but don't tell any of them if you succeed.

Great advice already given above. There is no doubt the best time to call in on a farmer is when one of his fields are being bothered by pigeons/corvids. Ask locals what land belongs to whom and try learn a bit about which crops are being grown.

Aproach the farmer with confidence and maintain eye contact, always introduce yourself and explain your purpose for interrupting them.

It is difficult and you will no doubt get Knockbacks now and again, as said politley thank them and offer contact details.

I have met one or two decent arable Farmers lately that rarely get asked permission by pigeon shooters and would no doubt be happy to let shooters protect there crops.

Also try to get some bush beating on any local shoots in the coming season, it can be a great way of getting to know like minded folk and opening those pigeon shooting doors.

Good luck and remeber if you don't ask you don't get!.

Do as Jdog say's.

Smart casual, polite and leave a calling card/contact number (do not ask the Farmer to write the number down)#

Do not call at meal times .

If you have skill let it be known especially if the farmer can use it.

A letter clearly stating your experience, being ex forces will help a lot.

If you can get a on to a BASC Intro to Pigeon shooting course this will put you in good stead as some one that is serious about getting things right.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also young and only been shooting 6 months. I have gained 2 pieces of land to shoot on now. I did this by driving around and catching the farmers on the fields and asking then, when we could both see clearly there were birds feeding on his crops. If you don't ask you don't get.

I prefer a different approach. Find a shoot to beat on, that way you get to know the farmer/landowner and then at the end of the season ask if they need a hand next year with pigeon/pest control. Make friends with the other beaters and guns and doors will open up for you. As a bonus you get some lunch +/- money and a brace of pheasants.

I hate cold calling people, especially overworked and underpaid farmers!

Tom

Lots of good advice above. As most of the guys have said the worst response will be no.

If you get a refusal you are in no worse position then when you started. Keep trying and you will get a yes. As soon as you do make sure look after the permission. Once the farmer is happy you are doing a good job it should be easier to pick up additional ground through name dropping or asking the farmer to put a good word in for you with his neighbours.