Slips between stands

cromwell7

I can only speak from experience but where I shoot people rarely use slips. The ground insists that the gun is broken at anytime other than firing. If its a semi auto it has a flag.

I usually leave my slip in the club house and walk the ground with just my gun and cart bag.

All the best

Depends upon how much you value your gun. I have seen more accidental damage to guns at clay shoots than anywhere else. Surely it has to be easier carrying a gun in a slip, which provides more protection. So if you have a grade 1 leave the slip in the car, if you have a grade 5 you may perhaps think twice !

Hi all

Is it frowned upon to carry your gun broken between stands or should it be put back in a slip every time?

For me it's easier to leave a slip in the car.

Not frowned upon at all but it is a damn nuisance. Extra weight to carry, boring/repeated in and out for no real good reason, fluff on the bead, wears the blueing off the end of the rib, the strap is guaranteed to twist round the slip at least once a round, if it's remotely wet or muddy the slips will get mullered and so will the back of your jacket ;) .

Yes it may save your gun from a broken clay once in a while (I've been lucky for over 30 years) but I would personally thank my lucky stars that it hit the gun and not me or someone else.

Not frowned upon at all but it is a damn nuisance. Extra weight to carry, boring/repeated in and out for no real good reason, fluff on the bead, wears the blueing off the end of the rib, the strap is guaranteed to twist round the slip at least once a round, if it's remotely wet or muddy the slips will get mullered and so will the back of your jacket ;) .

Yes it may save your gun from a broken clay once in a while (I've been lucky for over 30 years) but I would personally thank my lucky stars that it hit the gun and not me or someone else.

Yes, I used to have that problem with cheap gunslips too !

Never used to bother but since I bought my new gun I always carry it in the slip. I do so for two reasons; firstly to protect the gun, I`d be gutted if it was scratched by a bit of clay; and secondly because it`s very heavy compared to my old gun and I find it quite tiring to have it hooked over my arm for any length of time.

But as said previously I`ve never been anywhere that has a specific rule that says a gun must be in a slip.

Guest stevo

For me ..

O/U broken and carried.

Semi-auto in slip. Unless shooting bull trap or DTL ect. But thats very few and far between with the semi.

Edited by stevo

I've definitely shot grounds which have a rule that it should be slipped between stands; and I've been to other places where if you do so your thought to be a bit pretentious.

So, to the OP, unless you feel very strongly about it, either do what other people on that ground seem to be doing, or ask the management if they care.

Personally I prefer to leave the slip in the car.

I use a pump action so i put it in a slip between stands to give other folks peace of mind,ive seen quite a few semi autos pointed around at waist level with no safety flag and the bolt forward between stands so thats why i use a slip.nothing wrong with an o/u being carried around unslipped and broken.i do what i do through personal choice.

All ways put mine in a slip . Much easier to carry over the shoulder and it leaves both hands free to carry all the other stuff you seem to lug around . Allways leave mine in the slip whilst in the gun stands . Stops it being bashed by other guns .

Harnser

Always in a slip. While shooting with a friend last year in somerset at a small ground with concrete path ways from stand to stand we were following a couple when the wife slipped on the edge of the path. She and he had their guns broken over the arm, she lost her balance and dropped a brand new Beretta. Nearly every part of the gun was either dinged or scratched, gutted for her but would of been a different story had it been in a protective slip.

Keep mine slipped.

Had one stock damaged in the past by a shard of clay whilst carrying it between stands.

And once saw a full clay hit a gun laid on the ground in a slip. It cut the slip clean open.

Gun was only lightly damaged, hate to think what the damage would have been if it was uncovered.