Lab eye tests

Smiler23

Hi folks, I'm currently waiting on results of dogs hip scores and have been looking into getting his eyes testing next, question is ,on his pedigree both parents are uneffected of all eye diseases,iv read that as this is the case that iv no need to test mine as hereditary wise it's impossible for him to have any of these problems, is this right?

I think if you are looking to breed from him or her, although the chances are he/she will be ok through birth, I think it's a must. We need to keep these diseases out of our dogs and you never really know for sure until tested.

If you have paid for hips/elbows, the eye testing is a much smaller cost, I had the eyes tested first, as if they came back bad, I wouldn't have bothered hip scoring as I would never have bred from him with bad eyes.

ATB

Rhodri

Edited by Fal

Depend wot tests ur talking about.

Ther is 2 main ones i know off. 1 that needs done every year anyway (about £35 lst time i had 1), the 2nd 1 is the 'Optigen' genetic test which test for genetic diseases, bit more expensive but is for life .

Even if ur dog has no genetic diseases with the Optigen test u still need to have them checked every year

I think if you are looking to breed from him or her, although the chances are he/she will be ok through birth, I think it's a must. We need to keep these diseases out of our dogs and you never really know for sure until tested.

If you have paid for hips/elbows, the eye testing is a much smaller cost, I had the eyes tested first, as if they came back bad, I wouldn't have bothered hip scoring as I would never have bred from him with bad eyes.

ATB

Rhodri

yup that's the way round I used to do it lowest cost first.

If both parents are DNA tested for PRA he will be clear. Doesn't work the same with the BVA eye test though.

I would strongly suggest you test him for EIC (exercise induced collapse) and CNM (can't remember the name off hand) too as the list of carriers is alarmingly long and carrier x carrier could result in affecteds. Minefield, isn't it?! :/