Hard to see Crosshairs?????

Marksman1997

I was out yesterday shooting my new TX200HC with a Hawke Sport HD IR 4-12x50.

Scope is very clear and milldot crosshairs are nice! But what i realised was when steady and taking shots on the target it was often very hard to pick up the cross hairs or they were easy to see if you moved the gun about a bit more but when steady and really concentrating they seemed to just fade quite alot. Still visible but just really quite annoying.

Is it just these new scopes with finer crosshairs that are just harder to pick up?

Or a problem with the scope?

Or maybe Shooter error??

Can this be fixed? :hmm:

Guest cookoff013

its maybe the eye relief......

distance of the eye to the scope and the focus of the scope you should be able to set it up that it is crystal clear and in focus at 30-40 yards with the reticule in focus. sounds like you need to set up the scope for "you"

I have the same scope but with AO (adjustable objective lens) don't have any problems with it. It came with gun so I guess its about 3 years old. You have not said if the front lens is AO, if it is have a fiddle between it and the eye piece.

I ordered AO when ordering with local Gun Dealer along with TX200HC but then when i come to pick up he tells me Bull-**** excuses like they don't make that model any more. But says he ordered me this one instead!

Like you said total BS, they do make that model but not in 4 - 12 X. I think it is in 3-9X which should be ok for most applications. Rarely have mine above 9X, take it back AO gives you so much more flexibility. Its not bad on determining range either (roughly).

Edit = There is a post on here from around 10 days ago, the poster has given the lowdown on the changes Hawke are making..........do a search "Hawke Scopes" may find it.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

How is the Ocular bell adjusted?

Could a Dumb *** like me do it without messing up my scope?

This blanked out *** on me?? A S S Really??? :/

Just turn it, from new it may be screwed in so try "unscrewing" it a bit and look at the change in image as you turn it.

The eye piece is adjustable for focus, focusing the cross to the image and your eye.

Easily done wrong because if you look to long the eye adjusts so fast from one to the other.

Just look at the target and forget the reticle. Adjust repeat until you notice without strain a clear defined reticle.

Prolonged viewing during adjusting will give time for the eye to adjust instead!

Marksman its not a screw the eyepiece (ocular lens) has a ring on the, end its part of the build in front of the mag adjustment. The whole thing turns, you will also see a + & - sign on the bottom.

Have looked on Uttings on the interweb, they still have 4-12 x 50 AO IR @ £89.99 Good firm to deal with have used them a few times. Also checked Blackpool Air Rifles, they have AO but 3-9 x 50 no illuminated reticule (IR) £54.95 another decent company.

If you really wanted AO I would take the one you have and get your money back, (it was not what you ordered) then get on tinternet.

eh.gif.pagespeed.ce.-SB2SuldiM.gif I think it's unlikely to be a Hawke scope at fault, please check the instructions............... or maybe look on youtube, there must be a video on there to show you how to focus and mount your scope for eye relief.

Marksman its not a screw the eyepiece (ocular lens) has a ring on the, end its part of the build in front of the mag adjustment. The whole thing turns, you will also see a + & - sign on the bottom.

Have looked on Uttings on the interweb, they still have 4-12 x 50 AO IR @ £89.99 Good firm to deal with have used them a few times. Also checked Blackpool Air Rifles, they have AO but 3-9 x 50 no illuminated reticule (IR) £54.95 another decent company.

If you really wanted AO I would take the one you have and get your money back, (it was not what you ordered) then get on tinternet.

I have now ordered the 4-12 x 50 AO IR. But i don't know. I just feel bad about taking back a used scope to my Local Gundealer???

Might just sell for as much as i can get on ebay or the sales forum here. PM me if you can take it off my hands at a reasonable price.

Plus is the ocular lens just the eye focus??

I have now ordered the 4-12 x 50 AO IR. But i don't know. I just feel bad about taking back a used scope to my Local Gundealer???

Might just sell for as much as i can get on ebay or the sales forum here. PM me if you can take it off my hands at a reasonable price.

Plus is the ocular lens just the eye focus??

Basically yes.

Thanks but don't need any more scopes just yet, have them sitting all over the place. Well 4 of them.

Yes for about a week now.

so you hold a FAC yet you do not know how to set up and use a scope ?

I,m very surprised to say the least,

just goes to show that not all FAC holders have experience ?

I,m not getting at you sir but find it strange how you do not know how to use a scope and set it up to suit yourself,,,

that was the first thing my father taught me 40yrs ago before he even let me pull a trigger

atb Evo

ps,, please don't think I,m having a dig because I,m not, but you must admit being a FAC holder you would be expected to know this

all the best and no hard feeling bud

Evo

I,m not getting at you sir but find it strange how you do not know how to use a scope and set it up to suit yourself,,,

that was the first thing my father taught me 40yrs ago before he even let me pull a trigger

atb Evo

ps,, please don't think I,m having a dig because I,m not, but you must admit being a FAC holder you would be expected to know this

Evo

Why. there is nothing to state that any FAC weapon has got to have a scope fitted or that you've got to knkow how to adjust a scope. I shoot prone target with a 22 rf and that has never been fitted with a scope as it uses circular diopter sights. I do have sporting rifles with scopes and I know how to adjust them BUT if I only shot target I wouldnt be EXPECTED to know about optics.

Why. there is nothing to state that any FAC weapon has got to have a scope fitted or that you've got to knkow how to adjust a scope. I shoot prone target with a 22 rf and that has never been fitted with a scope as it uses circular diopter sights. I do have sporting rifles with scopes and I know how to adjust them BUT if I only shot target I wouldnt be EXPECTED to know about optics.

I can understand where your coming from, BUT surely being an FAC holder you would normally expect the FAC holder to be able to adjust a scope correctly ??? I might be wrong but just my opinion,, if I,m honest I,m quite shocked he doesn,t know

atb Evo

Evo

Felt like quite a strong Dig.

I set up the scope myself and actually bubble leveled the gun and the scope so that the scope was aligned perfectly straight.

I adjusted so that eye relief was good and had the best field of view when my head was in my normal shooting position.

All set up as best as i think it can be done. I adjusted the eye piece (just found out it is also called a ocular lens) quite alot to try and help but no-matter what i done i found that crosshairs were kinda hard to see and slightly blurred/ out of focus.

I would say i have quite good experience with firearms and have used for a few years now under my dads supervision.

My dads supervision however was to stand and watch me shoot the guns. My dad had a shotgun that he inherited from his dad and he used it about once a year or whenever he spotted a fox and was near the house. First experience of my dad using a gun was when he shot at a fox in daylight with a shotgun and the fox was probably 100 yards at the bottom of the field and he was really puzzled to why he didn't get it. (I now realize years later that with the usual #6 Bird Cartridges he usually bought and the 50 year old shotgun with no choke on it at all that the fox probably just ended up with a shower of pickles over his head) I always used to play lots of Call of Duty from around the age of 10. I was always using a Sniper and was the only weapon i ever used in the game. I went with my dad one day to get Dog food at our local gun dealer and the gun door was open. I pointed out to my dad what i then said were snipers. The gun dealer saw me looking and asked if i wanted to take a look. He showed me and my dad the guns and let me hold them. It was the first time i had ever seen a Rifle before and after leaving i just obsessed about the snipers as i then called them. I never thought i would ever be aloud one until i saw a rat one day at the farm and my dad said if i had a air rifle i could help to shoot them for him. I then realized that i might actually be aloud to get one. So for christmas it was obvious what i asked for! I received a BSA meteor Mk7 spring air rifle and for me it is the best present i will ever be given in my life! My dad told me how to load it, how the safety worked and to always be careful and shoot into a backstop. That was it! The gun dealer mounted the scope and it was set pretty well. I got around 100 crows at my dads farm and always set the scope myself if needed just by trial and error and learning as i go. After a while i got my dad to upgrade me and he bought me a Ruger 10/22. When it was on the license and we got it back when i was out with him he just handed it to me and knew i was safe and responsible and was able to load it and do the rest. (By this stage i was 16 not 12!) He really has no interest in shooting. Just in pest control and maintaining vermin on the farm and his land and to this day he has never shot the 10/22. I then got a shotgun on his license and used it supervised. I now have the three transferred and use them on my own.

I was not taught the way most people are or the way you probably say that we should ALL be taught.

But i didn't have a choice and i really have just learnt myself.

I could not see the crosshairs perfectly.

That does not mean that i don't know how to set up a scope.

That does not mean that i don't know how to use a scope.

That does not mean that i don't have experience.

That does not mean i am a irresponsible Gun/FAC holder.

That does not mean my dad has done wrong by not teaching me. (How can my dad teach what he has never been taught himself!)

I felt that you were implying all these points. Just because i could not see my crosshairs and target together as clearly as i would have liked them.

Don't say you are "not having a dig" and say "no hard feelings" without reading what you have wrote.

Sorry to everyone for the SA but i really felt that the points were very unfair and not the sort of thing that i would ever say to a young shooter.

Congratulations if you managed to read all of this! :good:

Edited by Marksman1997

marksman, can I just say ,,thankyou for you essay of a reply, even though there was no need,

I was merely amazed that a FAC holder didn,t know how to set a scope up,,there was no need to give me and others your life story bud, I,m really not interested honestly,

as I stated in my original post and I,ll repeat it, " all the best and no hard feelings " but it is blatently obvious you have taken what I said the wrong way, so I,ll leave it there bud and make no futher comments to you,,

you will in time understand what I meant when you read what I said properly as I was not getting at you , your father, or anyone else for that matter but never mind,,

take care and enjoy your shooting

atb Evo

special note,,,, Underdog , I thought you would of understood what I was saying of all people, but I must of been wrong and I certainly hope this CROW **** was not aimed at me , get a grip mate and read my post again and I,ll say it again,,,,, " I still find is suprising how someone can be granted a FAC certificate and they don't know how to set a scope up properly " so whats wrong in me having that opinion ,,

moron