cartridge wallet research.

mel b3

good morning guys,

as some of you will already know , my good lady makes leather products for us shooters , one of the products is a 12g choke/cartridge wallet, i was asked if she could make them in 10g / 8g for wildfowlers , but , for the life of me i cant find the message so i dont know who asked so i cant pick their brains.

my questions are ,

what capacity would the ideal cartridge wallet be ? , (her current 12g ones will hold six but the design can easily be changed to take more).

what length of cartridge would they need to take ?.

would they be better , with , or , without , a belt loop ?.

would brown leather be the customary colour for wildfowling kit ?.

can you think of anything that would make a cart wallet more suitable/useable for wildfowlers ?.

thankyou in anticipation of your replies guys .

most of her shooting goods are designed and tested by myself or my shooting mates from our experiences in the field, but , none of us are wildfowlers , i know from my own experience that its much better to use a piece of kit that has been made specifically for the job so i thought id ask you guys.

as soon as we get a little feedback , she will design and construct a 10g/8g wallet (im guessing it will just be a larger version of the 12g wallet) and hopefully , one of you guys can drag it around with you for a while and give us your opinions.

thanks in anticipation guys :good:

Hi ,mate some 8 bore cases can go to 4 1/2 inch approx. ? and maybe a capacity of 6 would maybe enough ( due to the nature of wildfowling ) ?

it would obviously need to be waterproof and as mud resistant as possible.

a good strong belt loop would be a definite in my opinion with a facility for attaching a lanyard or some secondary securing loop / facility ?

not Sure about leather as a material though ?

To be honest as a wildfowler I would not want to be using a leather wallet on the marsh , the risk of the cartridges getting wet would just be to great and the constant wetting and drying of a leather pouch would likely ruin it .

All my cartridges are carried in waterproof boxes , as for capacity I usually take around 25 out with me mainly 3" with a few 3.5" when the geese are in ( 12 gauge)

Hi Mel,

Some good (if negative!) points raised here, I personally also doubt the practicality of an 8 Bore leather cartridge wallet..... another consideration is the weight of the cartridges! the shot alone would normally weigh 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 ozs (or even 3 ozs!) times 6 cartridges (you do the maths) and the wet, damp and mud would stretch and ruin a leather wallet in no time (not to mention ruin the approx £7 a pop non-tox cartridges in it!) I have bridle leather cartridge belts for 8 Bore, but don't use them anymore, I just take a few cartridges in a plastic bag in my pocket with a few extras in my bag!

Oh! and as someone else said the length of 8 Bore cartridges whilst normally 3 1/4 inches can be 3 1/2", 3 3/4", 4", and 4 1/4inches in length!..........so no standard length!

P1

Edited by panoma1