Project

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Henry Adkin was in Bedford and Peterborough in the late 19th to mid 20th century, there was also a William Adkin(s) in Suffolk late 19h century, the gun was proofed at 13/1 in Birmingham under the 1925 rules of proof.

Got a picture of the toplever?

It could possibly be out of the Westley Richards factory?

Henry Adkin was in Bedford and Peterborough in the late 19th to mid 20th century, there was also a William Adkin(s) in Suffolk late 19h century, the gun was proofed at 13/1 in Birmingham under the 1925 rules of proof.

Got a picture of the toplever?

It could possibly be out of the Westley Richards factory?

So does that mean it was nitro proofed in 1925 and made as a black powder before or made in 1925?

Cheers

As I thought that's a Westley Richards top lever and dolls head extention, on an Anson and Deeley patent Action, I believe the gun would have come out of the WR Factory in Grange Road, Bournbrook, Birmingham, there are no Black Powder Proof marks on the gun, so it was never BP proved! all the marks are Nitro Proof marks, which would indicate it was made by WR and retailed by Adkins under their name sometime after 1925.

Just replied to your damascus rebrowning post btw. On the face of it that guns just another boxlock non ejector, but its reasonably nice and will make a really fine gun if cosmetically restored and i really like nice BLNE's.

The action needs no work its fine as it is, the barrels might need a re brown and on such a gun i would be tempted to cough up and have it done, it would make such a pretty game gun, and the stock could probably do with being traditionally oil finished you could do this yourself or have it done..

Panoma has hit the nail on the head nice Westley made gun.

Personally I'd leave the action, re brown the barrels not really a diy job IMHO and traditional oil finish the wood work this can be diy if your that way minded but please avoid TruOil and other varnish based finishs it deserves better in iMHO

If I can offer any help or advice pleas just ask.

I think you were right in your original assessment. I would guess (without any specific knowledge of H Adkin as maker or retailer) that your gun originally dated to the early 1880s. It is built to pretty much the original A&D patent specification (Westley Richards toplever and bolted dolls head, single lump, no underbite, broad cocking levers etc - plus it carries a patent use number which dates it to before the original A&D patent lapsed). I cant imagine that, once the Purdey double underbolt patent lapsed, many guns were built with single lumps and no underbolt. My guess is that it was either rebarrelled or reproofed in the 20s after a hard working life.

I am, of course, open to correction. Still lots to learn about these excellent old guns.

Congratulations on a great find, she is a beaut.

• 3 weeks later...

Was the stock cracked or in such a poor state that it required replacing, only you will lose the patina of years of use which can be half the joy of owning/using an old gun ?

Further to my earlier post, I must admit that you are making an excellent job of the new stock.