Definition of a trained gun dog?

Jame

In simple terms what would you class as trained gun dog? either retriever or spaniel.

What should it be able to do before the dog is introduced to a shoot either as a beating/hunting dog or to pickup with on a shoot?

I ask because my own definition is based on what I've read and learned from my training (with trainers help) my spaniel since she was home at 8 week old, she is 14 months now. I see that everyone's version of a "trained" dog is very different.

My view is the dog should at least do the following basics before I would consider a shoot day which my spaniel does:

1 Sit and stay until told to move no matter what!

2 Recall to voice/whistle and hand signal at all times.

3 Walk to heal on and off the lead.

4 Sit/drop to stop whistle and or hand signal at any range within eye/earshot.

5 Be steady to the gun

6 Handle out in straight lines and follow direction on hand signal/whistle/voice

7 Retrieve game on land/water and deliver to hand and release only on command.

Is this enough ? I train her daily for 10-20 minutes once a day, we have an hour lesson every week with a trainer. I am the type of person that if I take something on I have to research it to death and do it to the very best of my ability no matter what time/cost is involved to achieve the final goal. I am already very proud of what my dog and myself have done since I have had her.

After watching a few dogs in a scurry at a recent event I was very surprised at the amount of dog handlers who could not work there dogs on simple blind retrieves from cover, frantic loud whistle blowing and repeated commands that the dogs ignored and the dogs randomly running to each pile of brash hunting for them selves (due to the fact they didn't square the dog up after the first ignored command!)

I entered my own dog to give her some experience on working with a lot of people round her, she did exactly as I asked and went straight out to each blind retrieve that I sent her 2, she picked them and presented each 1 to me without thinking about it, it all seemed very very basic stuff to me and my dog to be honest. Maybe I am very lucky to have such a good dog... or its the daily training she has had for the last 12 months or so? Or is it that the level of a gun dog varies such a dramatic amount that "trained" is anything that half listens to its owner?

In simple terms what would you class as trained gun dog? either retriever or spaniel.

What should it be able to do before the dog is introduced to a shoot either as a beating/hunting dog or to pickup with on a shoot?

I ask because my own definition is based on what I've read and learned from my training (with trainers help) my spaniel since she was home at 8 week old, she is 14 months now. I see that everyone's version of a "trained" dog is very different.

My view is the dog should at least do the following basics before I would consider a shoot day which my spaniel does:

1 Sit and stay until told to move no matter what!

2 Recall to voice/whistle and hand signal at all times.

3 Walk to heal on and off the lead.

4 Sit/drop to stop whistle and or hand signal at any range within eye/earshot.

5 Be steady to the gun

6 Handle out in straight lines and follow direction on hand signal/whistle/voice

7 Retrieve game on land/water and deliver to hand and release only on command.

Is this enough ? I train her daily for 10-20 minutes once a day, we have an hour lesson every week with a trainer. I am the type of person that if I take something on I have to research it to death and do it to the very best of my ability no matter what time/cost is involved to achieve the final goal. I am already very proud of what my dog and myself have done since I have had her.

After watching a few dogs in a scurry at a recent event I was very surprised at the amount of dog handlers who could not work there dogs on simple blind retrieves from cover, frantic loud whistle blowing and repeated commands that the dogs ignored and the dogs randomly running to each pile of brash hunting for them selves (due to the fact they didn't square the dog up after the first ignored command!)

I entered my own dog to give her some experience on working with a lot of people round her, she did exactly as I asked and went straight out to each blind retrieve that I sent her 2, she picked them and presented each 1 to me without thinking about it, it all seemed very very basic stuff to me and my dog to be honest. Maybe I am very lucky to have such a good dog... or its the daily training she has had for the last 12 months or so? Or is it that the level of a gun dog varies such a dramatic amount that "trained" is anything that half listens to its owner?

I think pretty much what you have listed above. I think I would class anything less than that as "trained to a point".

I think pretty much what you have listed above. I think I would class anything less than that as "trained to a point".

I agree with everything you say, but this would not apply to most shooting men that shoot walk up game and wildfowling there dogs might and are likely to be a little head strong, as Fenboy says if does the job and suit you that's all some want out of there dog.

A Dog That is well behaved, around other dogs.

then you get the comments how good your dog is..

You Have Made it...

I have a way to go on that front, she has to investigate most other dogs she meets, runs up to them if allowed, sits down and turns her back to them with her head held high while they sniff the usual bits.

How to stop her giving other dogs so much attention ?

• 4 weeks later...