2 pups from the same litter - bad idea?

treetree

Relatives & friends have done this in the past without any issues...and a mate now has two male dogs from the same parents, but about 3 years difference in age.

As long as you don't get one of each & they turn all "Norfolk Terrier" when you leave them alone!!

Relatives & friends have done this in the past without any issues...and a mate now has two male dogs from the same parents, but about 3 years difference in age.

As long as you don't get one of each & they turn all "Norfolk Terrier" when you leave them alone!!

The webbed feet will make them ideal for wildfowling tho!

I'd say it depends how experienced u are and how u rate urself to train them.

The biggest problem is finding the time as u will have to train until fairly advanced and probably even walk them seperately until u get them both rock solid heeling on a lead, with 2 young dogs will probably find them 'egging' each other on to pull when together ,aking it harder again.

Also if the 2 are kennelled together all day they will bond and may form a stronger bond to each other than they do to u.

It is possible and loads of folk will do it all the time, but it is probbly easier to have dogs slightly different ages to help with training.

Also further down the line u will have 2 dogs the same age so both retiring around the same time so u will need a 3rd dog in 6-8 years time so its in it's entering its prime as old 2 slow down/retire. Possibly easier if u can hang on for 2-6 years if ammount of dogs u can own is an issue

Two dogs exactly the same age is generally considered to be a bad idea. Much harder to train either of them properly, and potential for fighting which it's impossible to know in advance whether it will happen, and can be almost impossible to manage if it does.

I did it anyway in spite of all such advice a while ago, ended up rehoming one of them aged 18 months (mine was two bitches, which is most likely to be the worst, though you can never tell).

Some people do it with no problem, but more often than not i think people regret it.

Just my 2p.

I have 2 cockers, litter sisters and now in thier 5th year, good solid workers, do as I ask and willing to please. They both have their bad habits and both have good traits, I'm not kidding myself thier no where near a trialling standard but they do a job for me and I wouldn't have it another way.

Would I take the plunge and take two on again? No I wouldn't, time and effort did take it's toll at times I though I'd bit off more than I can chew but looking back it was a great experience.