House move/guns/renting

AVB

We are moving in July and very likely into rented accomodation until we find a house we like. I can't be bothered to go through the hassle of installing a gun cabinet in a rented property for, hopefully, a period of 6 months. Can I just deposit the guns with a RFD and if so will it be flexible enough to take them out on Friday, shoot on a Saturday and then re deposit them on Monday? Anybody done this before?

Any of the Norfolk boys know of a RFD who might do this in or around Nooorwich

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by AVB

Not sure where you are moving to - but I see you are in HERTS. If you are a member at Atkin Grant & Lang - they offer free gun storage as part of your membership. It is about an hour away from Bishops Stortford - but might be worth looking at.

Anything is possible if you pay for it!

How will you secure them between Friday and Monday?

Good point. As it it a 'temporary' location I assumed I could get away with taking 'appropriate precautions' as you would do when travelling. I'll give BASC a call to see what they suggest.

Two 10mm holes in the wall and a couple of 10mm rawl bolts will take I'm guessing a maximum of 15 minutes to do.

Then a queeze of filler and a splash of paint another 15 minutes when you leave.

Mmmm it took me a damn site longer to do when I installed it originally I am **** at DIY. I wasn't going to take the safe with me just buy a new one when we get to the new permanent house. If leaving them with a RFD is difficult I might just have to make the effort.

Mmmm it took me a damn site longer to do when I installed it originally I am **** at DIY. I wasn't going to take the safe with me just buy a new one when we get to the new permanent house. If leaving them with a RFD is difficult I might just have to make the effort.

Fitted a new cabinet on Friday last week in 15 mins and I'm no diy expert!!!! Place against wall and mark through holes in back of cabinet. Move cabinet and drill 2 x 10mm holes (2 will be fine but if you want to do 4 or more its up to you and dependent on how many holes are in back of cabinet then mark how deep you want holes on drill bit by placing against rawl bolt and mark with tipex or tape to save going too deep or shallow).Remove nuts and washers from rawl bolts and push bolts into holes. Place cabinet back so that bolts line up and add washers and nuts then tighter. Job done.

I too am happy to assist if you require.

Edited by Suffolkngood

Might need to check with you land lord or letting agent 1st.

The storage of firearms in rented accommodation does not legally require specific permission to be sought by or from landlords. Any tenants or prospective tenants seeking permission to store firearms and ammunition on the premises should not unreasonably be refused permission. Consultation with the landlord to gain agreement for the location and fixing of security devices is likely to be necessary dependant upon the terms of the tenancy agreement which can be negotiated. Should a landlord wish to know about the storage of firearms based on potential structural concern the drafting of a tenancy agreement may wish to be carefully worded; for example: The fitting of semi-permanent fixings into the fabric of the property (e.g. TV mounts, gun cabinets etc.) The tenant should firstly consult their landlord or agent as to the siting of such devices to ensure that the structure of the building is not damaged by such work. Repairs or damage to the structure of the property will need to be addressed in the lease and it should be pointed out to the tenant that on surrender of the lease these dilapidations should be made good.

Edited by Davyo

... that on surrender of the lease these dilapidations should be made good.

This bit above in red....

Lived in a few rented places in the last 15 years or so. NEVER sought permission for "a safe" as I always asked about the rules for attaching shelves "& things" to the wall by drilling...they ALL said that as long as no damage was done & the work was made good prior to moving out, then crack on.

I'd personally NEVER mention guns to ANY landlord - none of their business - as you are pursuing a legal activity; the surprising thing to me is how many rented places there are being used as cannabis farms & the like....makes me wonder how much interest a landlord shows, esp. if they've had a years rent up front in cash...!!

This one looks like one for pedants corner .

Harnser

I do not think Davyo is being pedantic. Indeed, it seems to me his point was well intended and well made. I am a landlord. We let via an agent. The standard lease does include no drilling holes in walls for shelves, picture hanging etc without the prior agreement of the landlord, and that any such damage must be made good at the end of the tenancy. The clause is quite impractical in the real world but it is there for a purpose. In our case we agreed that pictures could be hung with drilled holes and on exit found the walls of two rooms looking something like the aftermath of Al Capone's Valentine's Day massacre!! But that was an extreme case and we had to go to arbitration to get it resolved (in our favour).

In this case I would have no difficulty in principle with agreeing to a request for two holes to fix a cabinet to a wall which would me made good on exit. This is OK on emulsioned walls but almost impossible with patterned papers.

How does one get around the issue of skirting boards? I have only fitted two gun cabinets before and had to remove a section of skirting board so that it could be flush to wall. Would be a no no in a rental property I assume.

How does one get around the issue of skirting boards? I have only fitted two gun cabinets before and had to remove a section of skirting board so that it could be flush to wall. Would be a no no in a rental property I assume.

Simple...........mine's in a cupboard but still has skirting so I've sat it on house bricks to elevate it above the skirting and allow it to fit flush against wall.

If you prefer, then sit it on a block of wood and paint it/stain it to match.

Edited by Suffolkngood