Red squirrel kittens

rsrjerry

Red squirrel kittens , to say i am pleased with these photos is an understatement.myself and another ranger have worked this wood for around 5 years now taking out many a grey squirrel.Seen a few reds from time to time over the years. but just last week on a walk around 7 different reds were seen . I then put up a Trail camera and the photos i hope you agree are what it is all about

post-9118-0-66521600-1431370395_thumb.jpg

post-9118-0-51721000-1431370522_thumb.jpg

Edited by rsrjerry

Fantastic. I used to love watching their French cousins in the woods where we camped in summer for many years when my daughters were younger. There would be a pitter patter of pine cone bits hitting the tents or tarpaulin lean to's that we had. After about 10 to 15 minutes of this a stripped husk would come hurtling down and hopefully land on the ground. Tents and tarps took many a hit but only one ever dinted the car fortunately.

It would be great to see the reds thriving throughout the UK.

Interesting. How are the buzzards taking the reds? Perhaps you can tell us more?

There is a healthy population of reds on 2 neighbouring perms I have. Unfortunately there are also a shedload of buzzards. They are patient hunters and soon get to know the reds preferred areas. The 2 farmers concerned have seen numbers of young and adults taken. I haven't seen it myself but have no reason to doubt the lads as they are both proper country blokes.