shotgun licence- police have twice asked the doctor about my suitabili

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the correspondences will also be put in your medical records as your doctor will put anything relating to you medicaly in it. So if your medical records are required for anything the copy of your application and covering letters sent by the police will be in it.

I wouldn't worry to much , they can ask your doctor 10 times about your suitability and as long as your doctor is satisfied and all else with yourself checks out you should be ok. But no disrespect meant here but if they have any concerns with you I don't blame them for being thorough .

They do write personally to your doctor asking the obvious, have you been treated for depression any chronic illness (hiv/cancer etc etc) basically anything that could upset your state of mind.

The letter they send will also ask them for their personal opinion If they think your suitable to hold a FAC/SGC and almost every doctor will refuse to answer that. I know that mine refused to answer it as he is a family friend and he told my dad. I think it's a legal thing because if you do anything stupid with your guns the police could potentially point the finger at your doctor leaving them open to lawsuits. I wouldn't worry about it yours has possibly done the same and they aren't happy with that. I have FAC and a SGC

Like others have said as long as everything else checks out you'll be fine.

Edited by MrDaveO84

I told the police that a conviction I had caused my depression. have I messed up by saying that?

yes-I was treated for depression.

No. Why?

If you told the truth you haven't "messed up". They ask these things for good reason. It will depend on the nature of your conviction and depression. Though it has to be said that's not an ideal combination of factors for an applicant, I wouldn't rush out and buy a cabinet yet if I were you. The police would be failing in their duty if they didn't look very closely at these things.

Also if you hadn't have mentioned the conviction and depression on the application then you might as well of binned the application as them finding out on their own accord would be worse than devlaring.

The fact you were open and honest about it all should work in your favour. Good luck with the application

Edited by Zenduri

No I put everything down on the forms.

was depressed for about 10 years. I told them what caused the depression. My doctor slaso gave me the all clear.

When the police come and interview you about your licence, do the test your mental state or try to upset you?

When they came to vist, they were not very nice to me. is this a test?

Edited by Tattooed

No I put everything down on the forms.

was depressed for about 10 years. I told them what caused the depression. My doctor slaso gave me the all clear.

When the police come and interview you about your licence, do the test your mental state or try to upset you?

With the best will in the world the people on here cannot answer your questions as they simply don't know enough about you or your background.

The checks that the police go through are to establish you suitability to own a gun and if there is any reason for them to believe that you may use that firearm to do damage to yourself or to others then you will not get one. It is for that reason that offences of violence are often a straight barrier to getting a gun, especially so if using a weapon of some sort, stick, bottle, etc.

Sadly there are also cases of gun owners using their gun to dispatch themselves as it is quick and easy, so if they have any reason to suspect that you may have an inclination to do that then you won't get one.

Not all mental illnesses or depression lead to suicidal thoughts so having depression is not a straight barrier to not getting one. If during the course of your illness you had said to the doctor or a therapist that you had harboured any suicidal thoughts then that would absolutely require a lot more consideration on their part.

At the interview they are trying to establish suitability of you to own a gun safely, so that looks at security, your attitude in general, what other people you associate with, etc. They shouldn't try to bait you or trap you somehow, but they are all individuals and some are nice and some not so nice, just like everyone else in the world.

If your doctor suggests that in his opinion you are of sound mind and have been for some time then they have no real reason to refuse. Likewise if your conviction is spent and is not threatening or menacing then they have no real reason to refuse. Ultimately though the choice is for the police, they have guidance to follow, but it is a subjective decision.

Only you know your circumstances and short of you disclosing everything that was on your application to the PW world you are not going to get a meaningful answer in any sense. Don't disclose your history on here either, it brings no value.

The stock answer would be to join a shooting organisation and get advice and guidance from them, but to be candid as it is a first time grant and if your background is not particularly clear or easy then they are likely to keep things at arms length.

Edited by grrclark

Yet another thread where someone posts a fraction of the facts and asks for an opinion. More facts emerge as the thread goes on. They tend to get a bit bizarre, to the point when you start to question as to whether a cert should be granted.

Your quotes above start ringing alarm bells for me.

With the best will in the world the people on here cannot answer your questions as they simply don't know enough about you or your background.

The checks that the police go through are to establish you suitability to own a gun and if there is any reason for them to believe that you may use that firearm to do damage to yourself or to others then you will not get one. It is for that reason that offences of violence are often a straight barrier to getting a gun, especially so if using a weapon of some sort, stick, bottle, etc.

Sadly there are also cases of gun owners using their gun to dispatch themselves as it is quick and easy, so if they have any reason to suspect that you may have an inclination to do that then you won't get one.

Not all mental illnesses or depression lead to suicidal thoughts so having depression is not a straight barrier to not getting one. If during the course of your illness you had said to the doctor or a therapist that you had harboured any suicidal thoughts then that would absolutely require a lot more consideration on their part.

At the interview they are trying to establish suitability of you to own a gun safely, so that looks at security, your attitude in general, what other people you associate with, etc. They shouldn't try to bait you or trap you somehow, but they are all individuals and some are nice and some not so nice, just like everyone else in the world.

If your doctor suggests that in his opinion you are of sound mind and have been for some time then they have no real reason to refuse. Likewise if your conviction is spent and is not threatening or menacing then they have no real reason to refuse. Ultimately though the choice is for the police, they have guidance to follow, but it is a subjective decision.

Only you know your circumstances and short of you disclosing everything that was on your application to the PW world you are not going to get a meaningful answer in any sense. Don't disclose your history on here either, it brings no value.

The stock answer would be to join a shooting organisation and get advice and guidance from them, but to be candid as it is a first time grant and if your background is not particularly clear or easy then they are likely to keep things at arms length.

Thanks. That was very helpfull.

Nope. No convictions for volience.

Yet another thread where someone posts a fraction of the facts and asks for an opinion. More facts emerge as the thread goes on. They tend to get a bit bizarre, to the point when you start to question as to whether a cert should be granted.

Your quotes above start ringing alarm bells for me.

thanks

Edited by Tattooed