shotgun licence- police have twice asked the doctor about my suitabili

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I put everything down on the forms.

was depressed for about 10 years. I told them what caused the depression. My doctor slaso gave me the all clear.

When the police come and interview you about your licence, do the test your mental state or try to upset you?

When they came to vist, they were not very nice to me. is this a test?

Hi,

My local police have twiced asked my doctor about my suitability onholding a shotgun licence.

is this right?

This is all pretty speculative, but perhaps, following your interview, in which by the sound of it things became a little confrontational, they decided to seek further clarification from your GP.

Your first port of call should be to your GP to find out exactly what was requested and what reply your GP made and then your firearms licensing manager to get an update on the progress of your application.

Only then will you know exactly what's going on.

I can`t say that my meeting with my FEO was exactly cheery. I can`t say I liked him and he quite possibly feels the same way about me. He certainly didn`t make things easy for me. But in the end I received my SGC. It really doesn`t matter what their individual attitude is like or what their feelings towards you are. If they don`t have a good reason in law to deny you a SGC then you will get one.

My advice. Join BaSC in case of any problems. Then chill out and stop worrying about it until something negative actually happens.

When the police come and interview you about your licence, do the test your mental state or try to upset you?

The police were very nice when they visited me, When I say police he was a civilian civil servant with as much interest in firearms as I have kite flying. Its not their job to come into your house and be confrontational.

Edited by ordnance

Funnily, ironically, enough I wasn't very nice to my FEO when I realised the lack of knowledge and ulterior agenda became apparent.

He got no biscuits, he went for the foulest excrement in my loo where my cabinets are before looking at them, so I had to breath that whilst he checked my guns for a renewal, all info wrong, missing guns, guns I've sold that I shoukd still have even though I have evidence I've passed them on.

And so on.

I suffered from depression. the side effects of the pills caused very slight anxiety.

Should I have put that down on the forms?

Yes, you did the right thing

Edit: Re-read your post, I am assuming you put the depression on your form, if so then yes that was the right thing to do.

Edited by grrclark

have you suffered from any medical conditions? I put yes I suffer from depression. Been off meds for a couple of years. I never put the slight anxiety down.

Have you ever received treatment for depression or any

other kind of mental health condition- I put yes.

Edited by Tattooed

• 4 months later...

in the end I had to withdraw my application. The police were not happy that I had been depressed for so long (10 years) Even though the doctor gave me the all clear.

Been told I have to wait 2 years before appying again.

Use this time to your benefit, join a club that loans guns, get well known,go regular, buy brews, when the time comes you will have shown commitment to the sport and will have a huge reference,the calibre of which is in your hands

Somewhere along the line there was a failure, whether it was the Police not coming round for a chat or the Doctor not informing the Police I don't know but I do know the Police didn't, come round until it was to late, so from my point of view let them do there checks and be happy they are, my mate has no second chance or chance to argue

What is depression and how is it measured? My son has cancer (& a few other things), in-laws are a pain in the butt (one is 94and on his last legs and the other has become extremely needy putting huge pressure on SWMBO) and I read newspapers every day but hey ho every day I get up and no matter what the weather love to get out with the dogs and look forward to the next day shooting/beating. Life is quite tough and GP aware of this so would he say I had the potential for depression? He did ask us how we are coping?